iMovie 10.18 - How to adjust slideshow speed?

Looking for simple FREE ways to slideshow a folder full of jpgs and trying iMovie for the first time. There are plenty of search answers for "adjusting a video" timeline, but nothing for slideshows. In iMovie preferences, there is a field that "should" do exactly what I need (attached) - but changing the number there does nothing at all. There is no "timeline" in this version of iMovie that I see.

I want to be able to look at random image folders - whenever I feel like it - and have them play as a slideshow. I don't want to save the slideshow or output / export anything, as the number of images in these folders will change constantly.

Im creating a new project - choose the *folder - import the images - click play.

Also theres a clock icon (among others) above the display image that seems a likely thing to adjust slideshow speed but its grayed out. Only color and crop adjustments arent grayed out

It shouldnt be this hard to adjust slideshow playback speed.

iMac 27" retina / Mac OS 19.14.5 Mojave

Posted on May 15, 2024 12:54 PM

4 replies

May 16, 2024 11:34 AM in response to Rich839

Thanks for trying to help. It's not working like you said. Maybe your advice applies to later versions beyond 10.1.9? iMovie probably changed since this older version. (Not going to upgrade just for this).

I set the pref duration to 1.0 seconds as shown above =and that has no effect. The slideshow is currently showing images for about 9 seconds.

I deleted the event, created it again and reimported all the images (jpgs under 1.0MB). Selecting all the images and clicking the circle "i" - nothing happens except it either shows or hides a field with some small text of file name and image count. It also says 3.7m - whatever that means....

I notice in the media column, while an image is displaying, a tiny vertical line wipes across each thumbnail for 9 seconds - confirming the app isn't doing what I've set it for..

This is the default iMovie app on the system when I bought it new in 2018 and first time I tried to use it.

May 17, 2024 9:29 AM in response to onefiftymph

Hi,

The photo duration feature has not changed

Reviewing the steps: Create a project so that you have a timeline. Place several photos in the timeline. Select the photos as a group. Click on the circle with an "i" in it in the tool bar at the upper right of the screen. A duration box will appear to the right. Type in the duration that you want, that will apply to each photo that you selected in the group, Press the Return key on your keyboard.

I am running iMovie 10.1.12 on Mojave. The above procedure works fine on my system.

-- Rich

May 15, 2024 11:31 PM in response to onefiftymph

With still images you adjust the speed by adjusting the duration (display time) of the images. Shorter duration = faster; longer duration = slower.

You can adjust duration of the images individually or as a selected group. After selecting the image or group of images, click on the little circle with an “i”in it, located in the tool bar at the top right of the screen. A duration box will appear at the right. Type in your desired duration and press Return.

Alternatively, you can set the photo duration for the project in the preferences box that you posted in your screen shot. The photo duration preference should be set before you create the project. You can always override it later.

— Rich

iMovie 10.18 - How to adjust slideshow speed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.