Logic Pro 11 issues with Rosetta

I updated to the Logic Pro 11 upgrade on Monday when it released, and instantly had issues opening it through Rosetta. It takes anywhere from 3-6 minutes for the software to open, and that doesn't include the time it takes to open the session once the app has opened. This is really unfortunate for me because as much as I'd love to use the native version of Logic, my workflow is heavily dependent on ARA plugins such as Melodyne. If apple were to finally integrate ARA support into the native version of Logic, I feel most of us won't even need to use the Rosetta version. But until then, they should be on top of making sure Rosetta is fully functional as a compromise. But thats not what we're getting, and that's really disappointing. I've been in logic for so long that it makes it difficult to switch DAWs, but the lack of attention to detail and quality control has made me consider it.

To apple, please do better. Logic is the host for many professional careers, and when there are mess ups this big, it just feels like a massive slap in the face. If you can fix either of the Rosetta launch times or native ARA integration issues in the near future, it would be greatly appreciated.

Mac Studio (2023)

Posted on May 15, 2024 2:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2024 2:54 PM

I have the exact same issue. I heavily use Melodyne and Vocalign as ARA plugins, and now I can't because Logic Pro 11 doesn't support ARA and it won't open in Rosetta. I was excited for this update, and now I regret downloading it.

35 replies

May 23, 2024 1:03 AM in response to JohnnyMcAppleseed

I got some good news for all.

I reverted to 10.8.1 using Time Machine. Then somehow I discovered I could keep both versions on the same computer! Both will open without a glitch (although not simultaneously)

Moreover, the project files are compatible with both versions! No "Save as..." needed!

Now I have 10.8.1 with Rosetta on (for some older plugins, mainly orchestral samples)

Then 11 in Native mode (for most other work, and for the stem splitter 😝)

May 15, 2024 6:03 PM in response to JohnnyMcAppleseed

After several years of updates, I'm really sorry for Apple!!! Apple doesn't even know that its customers need Rosetta??? My main job is music and I have been working with Logic for several years. These last few years have really ruined Apple. My friends in Cubase have no problems. And I am forced to leave Apple and Logic forever. I'm really sorry. Really

May 20, 2024 1:44 PM in response to JohnnyMcAppleseed

I'm in the same boat. Logic updated automatically while I was in the middle of a session (I left my computer to walk my dog and when I came back it auto-closed and updated), and now just bounces and won't open in Rosetta. I use Melodyne and Vocalign heavily as well which is why I'm here.

Was supposed to deliver 6 tracks this week, this is a HUGE business stopper for me.

Please fix quickly or make it easy to transition back.

May 21, 2024 7:28 PM in response to Jan Due1

It’s actually not those companies faults! It’s apple’s. The ARA algorithms don’t work on native logic. For some reason Apple wasn’t able to code the software that way with the new chips. Sunset celemony and synchro arts both rely on ARA for their realtime software to work, those versions don’t work natively! It’s up to Apple to rewire their software to be ARA 2 compatible before our plugins get to work. Hope that helps

Jun 1, 2024 1:43 AM in response to JohnnyMcAppleseed

I'm a little non-plussed by some of the comments here.

1. I too thought that Logic 11 was failing to open under Rosetta. But if I wait, it does eventually (~4 minutes) open.
  2. New, or existing projects run fine.
  3. It doesn't take any longer to open projects than it does without Rosetta.
  4. It doesn't take any longer to record new audio. One poster said something about having to wait 5-7 minutes every time they want to record.
  5. Rewire is working as well as it always has, for me. Rewire is the main reason, at the moment, that I need Rosetta - I Rewire Logic and Sibelius together.

Now then, I don't use some of the plug-ins that other people are mentioning, so maybe they are experiencing problems because of those.

But if it's just the time it takes to open Logic 11 under Rosetta that is the issue, I don't see the problem. If I'm doing some Logic based work, I'm usually going to spend a very long time with the program open. So waiting a few minutes for it to open the first time isn't a problem for me.

PS: with smallish projects with little or no plug-ins I'm running the buffer size at the minimum, 32 samples. I increase it if Logic complains.

I may be a "non-standard" user, in that I'm not doing huge recording projects. But I make my living entirely from music, which I suppose makes me a "professional", a word one poster here uses a lot.

M1 Pro Macbook Pro, 32gb Ram Sonoma 14.5, Logic 11.0.0

May 16, 2024 5:40 AM in response to JohnnyMcAppleseed

I feel bad for those that are having issues with Logic 11 and Rosetta. But for those that are making their living using Daws, you should never perform an upgrade on the very first day. There will always be kinks and incompatibilities with older 3rd party items until they update their software to work with the modern builds. Rosetta has been available for 4 years now and pretty much all major 3rd party developers have native Apple Silicone versions of their plug-ins. Melodyne 5.2 is native. so just update your software.

Also, hopefully you have Time Machine or some other back-up regimen in place. This will allow you to go back to the last version of Logic 10.* and continue with your work.

Logic Pro 11 issues with Rosetta

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.