Time Capsule disk won't connect to Mac Studio

I have a (fairly old) apple airport time capsule 3TB disk which I use as a Time Machine backup disk for my M1 Studio running Sonoma 14.4.1. It is connected via the ethernet ports. It has been working fine but a few days ago I loaded some large video files onto my Studio. Despite the fact that Time Machine is set to delete old backups once the disk becomes full, the next backup failed and stated that the backup disk was full. I have now moved the large files to a separate disk and tried the backup again through the Time Machine settings. The backup failed as Time Machine is now telling me that no backup disk can be found. I have tried unplugging the disk and reconnecting it as well as restarting the Mac, however backups still fail and I also see the disk is no longer showing under Locations in the Finder.

Any ideas what may have happened and how to resolve this?

Posted on May 16, 2024 7:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2024 8:36 AM

Sounds like the old Time Capsules internal drive has bit the dust.

Personally I would replace the old Time Capsule with a 4T or larger external drive to use for Time Machine.

For a reliable recommendation go to > https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-mercury-elite-pro

5 replies

Time Capsule disk won't connect to Mac Studio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.