Unkown AirTag - Understanding the dashed line and solid line on map?

What do the dashed and solid lines mean on the Find My map for an Unknown AirTag?

Seen here: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/7ct4l47wv2ue7o95e7luz/IMG_0589.jpeg?rlkey=fr0s0grxla92hwi5ts4blq9te&dl=0

Thx

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 16, 2024 2:27 PM

5 replies

May 17, 2024 9:16 AM in response to thebword

Here's what Apple (& others) provides on this topic:

Going back to the image you provided. The image of the blue circle with an AirTag, is the approximately location of the tag.

Understand that the AirTag does NOT know it exact location as it is not a GPS device. Instead, it uses a Bluetooth beacon to transmit its ID to the Apple "Find My Network." That network consists of literally millions of iPhones. As such, any iPhone within Bluetooth range (~30') of the tag can receive this broadcast, and then, if that phone has an active Internet connection, relay that tag's ID, along with the phone's GPS location, to the Apple servers. This is where you would see the tag's location with the Find My app on your iPhone.

May 17, 2024 9:06 AM in response to thebword

thebword wrote:

Thanks for that information...trying to find the device now on my vehicles. No sound option available.

It may be possible that the owner of this tag purposely disabled the tag's speaker and why you are not able to make it play a sound. If you have an iPhone 11 or newer, you may be able to use "precision finding" to try locating the tag.

It would be nice if I could keep track of the location of the owner of the AitTag.

Understandable, but I don't think this is something that Apple will provide any time in the future as it would be something like a "reverse stalking" feature.

May 16, 2024 4:36 PM in response to thebword

As you already know AirTags can be displayed in the Find My app with either dashed or solid lines.

The solid lines represent the actual path the AirTag took, while the dashed lines indicates the sequence of where the the AirTag was detected with you.

The former would be more indicative of when you are the owner of the tag and you have the tag with you attached to something, like your car keys. The latter would be indicating that there is an AirTag, that does not belong to you, moving along with you. In this case, the dashed path would be the path you were taking (with the tag moving with you.

Unkown AirTag - Understanding the dashed line and solid line on map?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.