where does com.apple.mail.plist reside in apple Mail OS 12.7.4

the file was removed and placed on the desktop .. Now the Mail is missing some of the emails

iMac 27″, macOS 12.7

Posted on May 16, 2024 4:43 PM

12 replies

May 17, 2024 3:19 PM in response to 2useApple

2useApple wrote:

Thank you and I found the file that is dated today ... my question has been, (now that you've helped me find the folder) should I delete this new file and replace it with the file that I accidentally(stupidly) removed on April 27?

That is a decision only you can make. While there is always some risk doing things like this, it is probably minimal.

What you could do to reduce the risk is copy the "new" file to another location (maybe a folder on your desktop; but better to an external drive) before replacing it with the "old" file. Then see what happens. If things work out to your satisfaction, great. If not, you can copy the "new" file back to its original location.

May 17, 2024 4:10 PM in response to MartinR

It worked !!!!!

Mail is back to near normal .... the configuration is back but I'm still having the problem with "no content" in any of the emails. This has been going on for months. I can delete all of the "Trash" file and restart the app and 2 out of 5 times the emails will appear with content .. I talked with an Apple advisor who could not give an answer. Very frustrating but now feel better that my "Mail" is looking normal as for as the side bar, thanks to you. Cheers

May 18, 2024 6:18 AM in response to 2useApple

Protect Mail Activity enables both "Hide IP Address" and "Block All Remote Content."

When you UNcheck Protect Mail Activity you can choose to enable or disable "Hide IP" and/or "Block" as you desire.

"Remote content" may be as innocuous as an embedded image or it could be various tracking methods that allows a sender to collect information about your use of the email (how many times you view it, when you view it, whether or not you forward it, etc.) As to whether or not to enable it, that depends on how trustworthy the people/organizations that send email to you are and how private you want to be.

Do note that enabling any/all of these options may interfere with your experience using email.

May 17, 2024 11:15 AM in response to 2useApple

~ tilde indicates  your user library folder

Apple hid the Users' Library folders...

Method 1:

1. From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.
  2. In the window that opens, enter ~/Library, and click Go.

Or…

Use the Command-Shift-. toggle in Finder to show or to hide hidden files and folders

May 17, 2024 8:19 AM in response to MartinR

Well ... it was my fault. I had searched for an answer for the emails appearing without content and one of the answers was, remove the file and restart. So I did .. that's when the issue appeared .. lost the folders to 2 of the four email folders. After using and help others, I did something I should not have done. That's my story and I'm sticking to it .... I can not find the "route" to the proper folder in which I should replace the file. Maybe it's age that the blame should be laid on. Thanks for your reply,

May 17, 2024 11:26 AM in response to 2useApple

The user Library folder (~/Library) is hidden. There are good reasons for it to be hidden. Anyway, to get to it, do the following:

While on your desktop or from any Finder window, in the menu strip at the top of the screen, click Go > Go to folder, then enter ~/Library and hit return. That will open a Finder window to the top level of your user Library.

Or you could Go directly to the subject folder by entering the following for Go to folder:

~/Library/Containers/Mail/Data/Library/Preferences

May 18, 2024 11:54 AM in response to MartinR

Thanks for the explanations .. and have set the 2 to see how is goes. As far as the Mail issue with no content .. it is still happening .. very frustrating .... I'm very close to backing up the iMac -- erasing the entire HD and re-installing the OS .. I'm at the top limit for this computer so OS 12.7.4 is the limit. appreciate all of the help. Tim

where does com.apple.mail.plist reside in apple Mail OS 12.7.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.