Graphical glitches on 2016 12" MacBook - Display Ribbon Cable?

Good evening all, was hoping someone may have insight for me regarding these graphical glitches/artifacts present on the display of this Early 2016 12" MacBook (A1534). A series of vertical and horizontal lines are present on the display, which kind of "bounce" or move around constantly (not static). If I find just the right angle for the display, all the glitches disappear and the screen appears normal, but will immediately return if the screen is adjusted. The glitches are also much more prominent when displaying colors v.s. hardly noticeable over white backgrounds.

Intuitively, I feel like this is the display ribbon cable being damaged and feel like the LCD panel and electronics are ok, but wanted to know if there are any other likely causes of this issue I should check for before I try ordering a cable. I was given the computer for free because of this issue, and I feel as though it's worth a 20 dollar ribbon cable if that's all that's damaged. However, I don't want to invest much more than a cable because the battery isn't in great health (and who knows how much longer the butterfly keyboard will work right on this 8 year old machine). I know the MacBook Pros of this era had ribbon cable issues, but haven't heard much about the regular MacBooks having this problem, so I'm skeptical and concerned it could also be a logic board or lcd controller board problem. So, if anyone's seen this kind of issue before with a 12" MacBook and has advice, please let me know! Thank you!

MacBook, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 16, 2024 6:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2024 8:15 PM

Since you have demonstrated a correlation between those display anomalies and moving the display panel, it seems reasonable to conclude the problem is a defective ribbon cable. Just be advised the connectors at both ends are also easily damaged, so replacing the cable itself might not be enough.

A $20 investment to potentially solve the problem seems reasonable though.

As you know the butterfly keys are prone to intermittent operation due to an accumulation of dust and other debris. Compressed air often fixes it, at least temporarily.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2024 8:15 PM in response to I_like_Vintage_PCs

Since you have demonstrated a correlation between those display anomalies and moving the display panel, it seems reasonable to conclude the problem is a defective ribbon cable. Just be advised the connectors at both ends are also easily damaged, so replacing the cable itself might not be enough.

A $20 investment to potentially solve the problem seems reasonable though.

As you know the butterfly keys are prone to intermittent operation due to an accumulation of dust and other debris. Compressed air often fixes it, at least temporarily.

May 16, 2024 9:12 PM in response to John Galt

Thank you for the fast reply! This MacBook may or may not have been sent in for repairs at some point, so it's possible the cable connectors were damaged in that process. I'll take it apart and see if the connectors look to be in good condition and not corroded. If they're okay it sounds like it makes sense for me to order the display cable and see what happens. The keyboard on this one seems to work reasonably well, only a couple of keys feel "off" but all work and aren't sticking. If all goes well I might have a solid MacBook for my 20 dollars :)

Graphical glitches on 2016 12" MacBook - Display Ribbon Cable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.