I need to delete music files from an iPhone 6 Plus but can't because newer version of iTunes doesn't allow deletions

iPhone 6 Plus - 16 GB, 13.8 GB used

IOS 12.5.7

I use this phone solely as a clock using the ClockPhone app. The app no longer works because it needs updating. There is not enough free space for the update.

There is 3.88 GB of audio files that I would like to delete. I cannot delete the music using iTunes because iTunes ( version 12.13.1.3 ) on my PC ( Win 11 OS Build 22631.3593 )is fairly up to date and the newer releases no longer allow access to music on iPhones.

I uninstalled iTunes and installed an older version but that failed because the library has been created by a newer version of iTunes.

How can I delete the music files on my old iPhone so I can update the ClockPhone app?

Earlier iPhone models

Posted on May 16, 2024 7:05 PM

4 replies

May 17, 2024 6:48 AM in response to cannot_delete_music_files

cannot_delete_music_files wrote:

iTunes ( version 12.13.1.3 ) on my PC ( Win 11 OS Build 22631.3593 )is fairly up to date and the newer releases no longer allow access to music on iPhones.

That is incorrect.

If you previously added the songs via the iTunes Library that you are using now, then in order to delete songs from your phone you need to manage that from iTunes and let iTunes synchronise those changes to the phone.

You will need to update iTunes to the latest version.

One method of removing selected songs from your phone is that once the phone is seen by iTunes click on the phone icon at the top of the iTunes window:

You will see the Device/Settings/Summary pane (screenshot at the bottom):

• to remove all the music, switch to the Device/Settings/Music pane and untick (uncheck) the Sync Music box and then perform a Sync

• to remove only selected songs, switch back to the Device/Settings/Summary pane and look on there for the box named Sync only ticked songs and videos:

It should already be selected (ticked, or checked). If it is not, tick it now. Once that box is ticked (checked), go back to the library by clicking on the left facing arrow just below the word File.

In the main library, deselect the songs that you wish to remove from your phone. The Songs View is useful for this task:

Once you have unticked songs (unchecked them), you can now perform a Sync and iTunes will remove the unticked songs.

I need to delete music files from an iPhone 6 Plus but can't because newer version of iTunes doesn't allow deletions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.