How to do a Ripple Edit when a Transition exists?

I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question, but I've spent quite a while reading the manual, googling, and experimenting, to no avail...

I'm trying to do "ripple edits" - effectively moving the beginning or starting points of clips. As per the manual, I move my cursor near the edge, and after it changes to the trim icon, I can drag that edge left or right to trim as needed.

This works fine until I add transitions. When a transition exists, the trim icon cursor never appears. Essentially, the edge of the clip is overlaid by the transition, blocking my ability to use this approach.

When I'm shrinking the size of the clip, I can usually workaround this problem by using the Trim > Trim Start/End menu command. But when I want to extend the clip, this doesn't work.

You could argue that I should modify my workflow to put transitions on after trimming. But choosing the right trim point depends heavily on how the clips fade in and out of cross dissolves, so I want to have the transitions in place before I made final ripple edits.

Any suggestions from the pros??

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Posted on May 16, 2024 9:07 PM

10 replies

May 17, 2024 1:01 AM in response to Dave Kitabjian

EDIT: if you don't see the two pairs of bars, you may need to zoom in the timeline a bit.

Hover the cursor near the two little vertical bars on either side of the transition, until your cursor looks the picture below; then drag to ripple edit:

This example will rip the outgoing clip (use the other side if you want to ripple the incoming clip).

Also, if you want a slide edit, drag the middle mark of the transition.

May 17, 2024 2:59 AM in response to Dave Kitabjian

Changing the length of a clip after inserting a transition takes some skill and practice. It's a process that everyone is confused about at first, so from the advice provided by the respondents, choose the method that is easiest for Dave Kitabjian to do.

Dave Kitabjian says that you can edit without any problem before inserting the transition, so I would like to explain how to "temporarily return to the state before inserting". *Be sure to test using a clone or snapshot of your project.

This works fine until I add transitions.

1. A transition is inserted between “clip_A” and “clip_B”.

2. Cut “clip_B” in the middle. →If there is continuity between the left and right frames, the border will be a dotted line.

3. Move the transition to the boundary. (temporary moving)

4. Shorten the length of "clip_A" to the red mark.

Do the same for “clip_B”.

Both clips are now shorter.

5. Return the transition to its original position.

6. Select the boundary (dotted line) of “clip_B” as it does not matter whether it is on the left or right end. →Delete the boundary. →Connect.

When a transition exists, the trim icon cursor never appears.

Edit it as described by fox_m.

1. Double-click the mark at the top center of the transition to expand it.
  2. The two bars that connect the upper and lower clips are the start point (left bar) and end point (right bar).
  3. You can easily change the start and end points by dragging the bar left or right or clicking on the clip.

May 18, 2024 10:53 AM in response to BenB

"Adjust transitions in the timeline in Final Cut Pro for Mac - Apple Support"

That's exactly it, Ben. In particular "Trim a Clip Under A Transition". Thanks!

I'm going to throw out that Apple should not have put the answer to this under this "Adjust transitions in the timeline". I'm not trying to do ANYTHING with the transition per se; the transition is just blocking what I'm trying to do. I had searched the manual section on Ripple Edits up and down and it didn't help. Putting clip trimming tools on the transition itself is already non-intuitive, and I certainly didn't expect to find an answer to clip trimming in the transition section.

Having said this, now that I know how to use it, it's a piece of cake! Thanks again!

May 16, 2024 11:45 PM in response to Dave Kitabjian

Double click on the middle of the transition. You'll drop into the "precision editor". You'll have complete control over the ends of clips.

You can slide the clips between the vertical bars to set up the part you want to transition by grabbing them with the mouse and sliding them along in their "lanes". [You can change the length of the transtion by grabbing the ends of the transition "bar" and dragging them to a new length; You can slide a transition within the handles region of both clips at the same time by grabbing the vertical silver bars and sliding them. Precision editor can be a very handy tool.]

You can move from transition to transition (and/or cut to cut) while in the precision editor by clicking the small silver rounded rectangles between the "lanes" (you'll see them directly under cuts).

Another "shortcut" would be to place the playhead where you want to trim a clip *under a transition* and type Option - ] (trim end) or Option - [ (trim beginning). The clip will be shortened, the transition unaffected. (You cannot extend trimmed clips with this method.)

HTH

May 17, 2024 10:39 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks, everyone, for some fascinating and helpful tips. The precision editor seems like it will help with some similar ideas. And LocaAlicia's idea of temporarily relocating the transition could potentially be useful.

But yes, this seems like the solution here:

"Hover the cursor near the two little vertical bars on either side of the transition, until your cursor looks the picture below; then drag to ripple edit"

You have to note that if you move BELOW the two vertical bars, your cursor changes, and you'll be modifying the length of the transition. But if you see the little "film roll", then you will be in ripple mode, which works perfectly.

THANK YOU!!

Dave

May 18, 2024 11:10 AM in response to Dave Kitabjian

Dave Kitabjian wrote:

Putting clip trimming tools on the transition itself is already non-intuitive,

The trimming tools should be at the very edge of the clip, and in fact they are. When you have a transition both clips overlap for the duration of the transition. Since the grey bloc representing the transition is covering the edges of the clips, this is a good alternative: you drag where the edge of clips are, and to distinguish this from affecting the transition a special area of that edge is marked. Clever and, when you realize that it’s at the edge of the clip you are trimming, makes sense.

How to do a Ripple Edit when a Transition exists?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.