Should I replace my old MacBook Battery?

I have a MacBook Air 11" Mid 2011. I have not used it much and have normally just taken it out to see if I could use it for something. In most cases I just put it back on the shelf. After only a few hrs it has 60% battery life remaining. Is it easy to replace the battery? I have seen where a refurbished battery would be around $80. It is not guaranteed to I am hesitant. Any suggestions or just junk it?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Earlier Mac models

Posted on May 17, 2024 8:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2024 8:40 AM

I happen to know Apple will no longer service that Mac's battery, but you can obtain quality aftermarket batteries from OWC / MacSales.

Having said that, the quality of aftermarket batteries tends to be uneven, but OWC will stand behind their products. Other than Apple (which is no longer an option) I would not consider any other source.

Given that Mac's age, 60% after a few hours is quite good. My similarly aged 2011 MacBook Air is on its second battery (replaced by Apple, when we could still do that) and it's doing about as well.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2024 8:40 AM in response to jmsfmtex

I happen to know Apple will no longer service that Mac's battery, but you can obtain quality aftermarket batteries from OWC / MacSales.

Having said that, the quality of aftermarket batteries tends to be uneven, but OWC will stand behind their products. Other than Apple (which is no longer an option) I would not consider any other source.

Given that Mac's age, 60% after a few hours is quite good. My similarly aged 2011 MacBook Air is on its second battery (replaced by Apple, when we could still do that) and it's doing about as well.

May 17, 2024 11:05 AM in response to jmsfmtex

jmsfmtex wrote:

Thank you for your response. As I have some time on my hands I think I will attempt replacing the battery. If I fail or decide not to replace the battery I will certainly recycle it properly and thanks for the reminder.

It isn’t a battery. It is 6 batteries stuffed into various corners of the MacBook motherboard. They are firmly glued in and hard (and dangerous) to remove. They are in kevlar “pouches”, and if you puncture a pouch it can start a fire that is almost impossible to put out, so don’t do this indoors. You can get kits from several sites with tools, and follow the instructions very carefully.

May 17, 2024 8:40 AM in response to jmsfmtex

No, it's not easy to replace the battery. I suspect that if you have to ask, you probably don't have the skills to even attempt it. (No judgement. I certainly couldn't do it.)

You should be able to continue using it while it's plugged in as long as the battery isn't swelling and distorting the computer.

If you do decide to get rid of it, be sure to recycle it properly. Apple and many other electronics retailers will take it.

May 23, 2024 9:51 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch wrote:

jmsfmtex wrote:

Thank you for your response. As I have some time on my hands I think I will attempt replacing the battery. If I fail or decide not to replace the battery I will certainly recycle it properly and thanks for the reminder.
It isn’t a battery. It is 6 batteries stuffed into various corners of the MacBook motherboard. They are firmly glued in and hard (and dangerous) to remove. They are in kevlar “pouches”, and if you puncture a pouch it can start a fire that is almost impossible to put out, so don’t do this indoors. You can get kits from several sites with tools, and follow the instructions very carefully.

That is only the 2018+ models of the MacBook Air where the battery is glued (and all the Retina model MBPros).

The OP has a 2011 MBAir where the battery swap is relatively easy....the hardest part is disconnecting the battery cable from the Logic Board.....sometimes that can be very tight. Otherwise, no adhesive involved. Battery is anchored with 5 screws.

May 24, 2024 8:19 AM in response to dwb

I have one in daily use as well. I'm using it now. If and when its battery becomes intolerable I might replace it with one from OWC. For now its (second, Apple) battery lasts the several hours a day I generally require of any portable Mac.

It's even been left out in the rain. Twice. Can't seem to kill these things.

Should I replace my old MacBook Battery?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.