MacBook Pro M1 laptop built-in display missing from Display preferences

After updating to Sonoma 14.5, the icon for the MacBook Pro built-in display is missing from the Display preferences but the external monitor icon is present. The monitors are in mirror mode. Prior to the update the system would boot with both monitors present, the external monitor the "main" and the built-in provide extra "real estate" on the desktop.

I have to unplug the external, reboot, then plug in the external after the system up and running. This is not a fix; the undesired behavior returns each time I shut down and launch again.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.5

Posted on May 17, 2024 9:01 AM

2 replies

May 17, 2024 10:38 AM in response to Mophilly

Mophilly wrote:

After updating to Sonoma 14.5, the icon for the MacBook Pro built-in display is missing from the Display preferences but the external monitor icon is present. The monitors are in mirror mode. Prior to the update the system would boot with both monitors present, the external monitor the "main" and the built-in provide extra "real estate" on the desktop.

I have to unplug the external, reboot, then plug in the external after the system up and running. This is not a fix; the undesired behavior returns each time I shut down and launch again.

ref: Connect a display to your Mac

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

MacBook Pro M1 laptop built-in display missing from Display preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.