Changing Arabic keyboard layout to "Arabic PC"

I recently moved from Windows to my first Mac (Macbook Air). As I type in Arabic a lot, I set up the arabic keyboard. It gave me three options, I selected "Arabic" only to realize that the keyboard layout is not exactly the same as windows (specifically the third line of characters). I have since been trying to change the keyboard layout to "Arabic PC" but that option simply does not appear again. I have removed the arabic language from my language preferences and then re-added it and tried again. But still no sign of that option with the 3 different keyboard layouts! It simply puts me back on "Arabic" ... please can someone advice? It is really a pain to have a different keyboard layout after so many years on windows.

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 14.1

Posted on May 17, 2024 9:18 AM

5 replies

May 17, 2024 11:58 AM in response to Abuibraheem

Abuibraheem wrote:

I have since been trying to change the keyboard layout to "Arabic PC" but that option simply does not appear again.

How exactly did you try to change the layout?

Do you have Arabic PC on your list in system settings > keyboard > text input > edit > input sources? If yes, did you then go to the Input Menu at the top right of the screen and select Arabic PC, as shown below? Exactly what part of this procedure is not working for you?

May 17, 2024 12:44 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Hi Tom, so this is what my input menu looks like:

As for when I go to keyboard > text input > input sources > edit ... this is what I get:

I get no option to choose Arabic PC ... even though when I originally set up languages to add Arabic and then set up the keyboard in this very place, it gave me the option to choose one of three layouts (Arabic, Arabic PC and Arabic QWERTY). I chose the first unknowing that it was different to what the windows version was.

Now, I just cannot seem to get that option again ...

If I click Arabic it just shows me the layout ...

May 17, 2024 1:57 PM in response to Abuibraheem

Thanks for the images!

Do you see the + button at the very bottom of the All Input Sources list? Click on that, go to the Arabic category, and then click on Arabic PC and then on Add. You should then have Arabic PC in the Input Menu at the top right of the screen. If it works, you can go back and use the - button on that list to remove Arabic.

Also in the Arabic category you should have Arabic Azerty and Arabic 123 if you need them.

Changing Arabic keyboard layout to "Arabic PC"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.