External hard drive recommendations for 2017 iMac 27 inch 3.8 Quad core i5

I want to get a external hard drive for doing 4k video but with all the choices for other solutions I'm finding it hard to pick between. Can I use a USB-C 3.2 ? I know my iMac says 3.1 just hang a hard time finding one that could do 4K. Any Help would be appreciated

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.6

Posted on May 17, 2024 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2024 1:33 PM

If you are going to keep active 4K video projects on external drives – as opposed to just archiving projects once you are finished with them – I would suggest that you look at something faster than a mechanical hard drive.

Your Mac has four USB-A (USB 3.0) ports and two USB-C (Thunderbolt 3, USB 3.1 Gen 2) ports.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) - Technical Specifications - Apple Support

Your options for drives – from slowest to fastest – are, roughly:

• USB 3.0 hard drives. Mechanical hard drives are slow enough so that connecting a single mechanical drive using USB-C (USB 3.1 Gen 2) or USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) will not make it go any faster.
  • USB 3.0 / SATA SSDs.
  • USB 3.1 Gen 2 / PCIe NVMe SSDs.
  • Thunderbolt 3 / PCIe NVMe SSDs.

I'm not sure, offhand, which type of SSD to recommend – but I think you definitely would want to edit your projects on SSDs, and only move them to HDDs for long-term storage.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2024 1:33 PM in response to LyonsDen Entertainment LLC.

If you are going to keep active 4K video projects on external drives – as opposed to just archiving projects once you are finished with them – I would suggest that you look at something faster than a mechanical hard drive.

Your Mac has four USB-A (USB 3.0) ports and two USB-C (Thunderbolt 3, USB 3.1 Gen 2) ports.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) - Technical Specifications - Apple Support

Your options for drives – from slowest to fastest – are, roughly:

• USB 3.0 hard drives. Mechanical hard drives are slow enough so that connecting a single mechanical drive using USB-C (USB 3.1 Gen 2) or USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) will not make it go any faster.
  • USB 3.0 / SATA SSDs.
  • USB 3.1 Gen 2 / PCIe NVMe SSDs.
  • Thunderbolt 3 / PCIe NVMe SSDs.

I'm not sure, offhand, which type of SSD to recommend – but I think you definitely would want to edit your projects on SSDs, and only move them to HDDs for long-term storage.

May 17, 2024 2:24 PM in response to LyonsDen Entertainment LLC.

Something you may not realize is that

• Different USB 3.* modes are mostly backwards compatible. That is, if you connect two devices that both speak some flavor of USB 3.*, they will settle on the "least common denominator". E.g., a device that speaks USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 ("up to 20 Gbps") will connect to a computer that speaks USB 3.0 ("up to 5 Gbps"). It will simply fall back to the lower speed.
  • There are often multiple USB 3.* names for the same speed.

USB 3.* names follow one of the following patterns:

Up to 5 Gbps

• USB 3.0
  • USB 3.1 Gen 1
  • USB 3.2 Gen 1x1

If you see "USB 3.1" by itself or "USB 3.2" by itself, this probably means that the other numbers are "1"s (and thus the speed is the same as USB 3.0), but that the vendor doesn't want to call your attention to that fact.

Up to 10 Gbps

• USB 3.1 Gen 2
  • USB 3.2 Gen 2x1

Up to 20 Gbps

• USB 3.2 Gen 2x2

Macs don't implement this mode, so if you connect a USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 device to your Mac, things will fall back to a lower speed (USB 3.1 Gen 2 on your USB-C ports, or USB 3.0 on your USB-A ports).

External hard drive recommendations for 2017 iMac 27 inch 3.8 Quad core i5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.