How to update credit card CVV

I few months ago my credit card was replaced (with a new expiration date and CVV). I was able to update the expiration date, but Apple Pay keeps on providing the old CVV. I'm somewhat tired of having to manually enter it every time I make a purchase.

Is the only way to enter the correct CVV by doing "Add Payment Method", and then deleting the existing one?

Surely, there must be a better way.

Posted on May 17, 2024 1:10 PM

3 replies

May 17, 2024 1:21 PM in response to Marius Schamschula

See the following from Change or remove the payment cards that you use with Apple Pay - Apple Support

If your card expires or you otherwise get a new card:

• The card number and expiration date linked to the Device Account Number should be updated automatically. 
  • If your card issuer doesn’t support these updates, you might need to remove the card and add it again.

If it hasn't updated automatically you will need to remove the card and add it again.

May 17, 2024 2:31 PM in response to FoxFifth

In other words: I need to remove and re-add my card.

However, as it's the only card I currently have set up for Apple Pay, that means I can't remove it, as it's linked to my Apple subscription payments.

If I attempt to add it a second time, I get an error, as this "Payment Method" already exists.

What nonsense!

Why can't one edit the information?

May 17, 2024 2:56 PM in response to Marius Schamschula

I managed to update the information on my iPhone by adding a second card, removing the first card and then re-adding it.

On the Mac I could add the second card using information from iCloud.

There was no indication if the information for the original card had been updated. So I deleted it, and had to reenter all the information a second time.

How to update credit card CVV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.