Massive Library Storage

Every few days my FCP Library fills up my Macbook's hard drive, even though all of my media files are always kept on external hard drives. I have not found a permanent fix for this, but the fix that has worked every time was to go into File > Delete Generated Library Files > Check all boxes including Delete (All) Render Files, Delete Optimized Media, Delete Proxy Media. Usually this shoots down the storage on my hard drive until it builds back up over the next few days. However this time it has not changed the 224 GB of storage it is holding on my hard drive. I have also gone into settings and unchecked "Create Optimized Media" and "Create Proxy Media" but that hasn't done anything either. All of the forums I've seen has had the person deleting "some" of the Generated Library Files and the answer was just to delete them All. I have deleted them all but am still having the same issue. Any ideas what I should try next?

MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on May 17, 2024 2:35 PM

18 replies

May 17, 2024 5:54 PM in response to mattswagger

224 is the size of the library? Are you using managed media stored inside the library or external media? For a production of that size you should use external media.

In project properties set the cache to be in the same location as the library and consolidate it so the cache is outside of the library. The cache will be a bundle next to the library with the same name.

May 18, 2024 6:45 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

My Mac hard drive is 500GB total, 135GB free. This FCP library takes up 224GB according to when I view my system storage. To my knowledge, I try to keep all of my media stored on external hard drives. I think something is occurring that is pulling this media to be stored on my Mac hard drive for some reason, which is why this issue keeps persisting in my opinion. I checked my Library Storage Settings and it says Media In Library, Cache In Library, and it's been that way. How can I consolidate it so the cache is outside the library?

May 18, 2024 6:49 AM in response to mattswagger

Nevermind, I found the consolidate option. After agreeing to do it, the computer tries to but then says there is not enough disk space and I need to clear some. Again I think my issue is that even though all my media is stored externally, FCP is somehow bringing those files in and copying them to my internal drive. I don't know how it's doing that or how to reverse it

May 18, 2024 7:24 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Upon inspecting clips in my projects, they all show to be stored on the external drive. I do drag and drop them into projects, which again may somehow copy their contents onto my internal drive, but I don’t see how nor do I see how to get rid of it. I do have recordings of audio files I use for narration that I believe get saved to the internal drive since they are recorded in FCP, but those do not add up to anywhere near the 224GB number. I just cannot mathematically see where that number comes from or where things need to be removed from to free it up

May 18, 2024 11:42 AM in response to mattswagger

Run the delete generated library files function. Back up the library onto another drive. Right-click on the library and select Show Package Contents. There'll be a bunch of files and folders in there. Depending on how your library is organized, most of them will be event folders. Look inside the event folders and look at the Original Media folder. You should see symlinks in there. If you see actual media files they've been imported into the library. Do not move, change, or alter in any way the contents of the library or any of its files.

May 18, 2024 12:03 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

yes it’s mostly the event folders. Each has the project folders within, as well as original media. It does show the video files in there, but they are all very tiny (like 60 bytes), so that tells me they are just pointers to the actual video files on my external drive, not the entirety of the video files themselves. Most event folders are small-ish (10-100MB) which again indicates they are not holding the full video files. I didn’t do Get Info on every single one, but I can’t imagine where this massive storage is still coming from. Because at an average of 60MB per event folder, that should still only add up to 5-6GB, not 224

May 18, 2024 7:10 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

No I don't ever use stabilization. I ended up combing through each event folder, and my last few events for whatever reason were storing original media in the library (i.e. copying the files from the external drive to the internal), even though it never used to do that and I didn't change any settings. Either way I was able to relink the files which cleared up pretty much all of the used space. I wish I knew why it changed on its own, but either way hope it's fine now. Thanks for the help

Massive Library Storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.