With Monterey 12.7.5. Steam app fails to launch after recent Steam update

On May 7 the Steam games platform updated their app and I have been unable to launch the app. I have been in contact with them over the last week and after working through their proposed solutions, they have suggested the problem may be that MacOS is interfering with the Steam update, perhaps treating it as malware.

As of now, I have deleted steam from my system and reinstalled it, but it still fails to open.

What do you suggest?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.7

Posted on May 17, 2024 3:50 PM

4 replies

May 20, 2024 1:02 PM in response to mapdoctor

I'm having the same issue: the steam application launches, but the library window doesn't open, and most of the menu options do nothing. I have gotten it to randomly launch properly a few times by repeatedly force-quitting and re-launching, but I've also discovered a more consistent workaround we can use until Valve and/or Apple fix the problem: select Big Picture Mode from the Window menu.

For me, BPM launches after a few seconds, and I am then able to exit BPM and the main desktop Steam window with my games library comes right up, along with the promotional launch popup. I then leave Steam open until I restart so I don't have to do it again. :-P I hope it works for you, too!

May 18, 2024 7:40 AM in response to mapdoctor

What happens exactly when you try to open it?

Start with this...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

May 19, 2024 5:47 PM in response to BDAqua

I ran the computer on Safe Mode, clicked on the dock icon and nothing happened. I then used the online link through google, and did log in (as before) but my games library does not appear. So no change in the situation.

I also reinstalled Steam and got the same result.

I can get to the Steam platform but cannot access the games library.

With Monterey 12.7.5. Steam app fails to launch after recent Steam update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.