Supposedly MFI Nucleus8 cochlear implant cannot connect to new iphone15

Bought a new iphone 15 from Telstra shop yesterday. Spent last night upgrading iOS to 17.5 tried to pair my Nucleus8 speech processor. the phone sees the processor but will not pair. THIS IS URGENT. Without hearing aid support as advertised the device is useless to me and will be returned on Tuesday.

Posted on May 17, 2024 3:50 PM

3 replies

May 18, 2024 12:52 AM in response to deafasamaggot

Hi, and welcome to the Apople (user-to-user) Community!

Am no expert on hearing aids, yet your request surely deserves some prompt response.

Some possible pairing solutions others have found helpful:

✽ Hearing-aids need to be in pairing-mode, and may need to be moved closer to iPhone in order to connect

✽ Check the Settings to make sure your hearing aids are listed correctly, and are available there, for connection.

✽ Check: Settings > Accessibility > Hearing Devices controls.

✽ Turn Bluetooth off, wait a few seconds, and turn bluetooth back on.

✽ Restart iPhone to re-establish the connection: How to: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

Went to Cochlear's website: https://www.cochlear.com/au/en/home/products-and-accessories/cochlear-nucleus-system/nucleus-sound-processors/nucleus-8

Noticed Cochlear mentions an app, and wonder if your hearing professional helped with that:

"Monitor, manage and control your Nucleus 8 Sound Processor using the

Nucleus Smart App from a compatible Apple or Android device."

Found this Cochlear support page: https://www.cochlear.com/us/en/home/ongoing-care-and-support/device-help-and-support/device-basics/cochlear-nucleus-portfolio/nucleus-8

which offers helpful support links, and also mentions the app.

Apple Support has articles online (links below) that may be helpful:

Use hearing devices with iPhone - Apple Support

To troubleshoot issues you have using your hearing devices with iPhone,

see : Use Made for iPhone hearing devices.

Accessibility features for hearing on iPhone - Apple Support

All the best :-)

May 18, 2024 2:27 AM in response to deafasamaggot

Thank you kindly for letting us know you solved the problem, and how.

Re: "so far I am yet to figure out how to connect my left hearing aid at all" ...

Wondering if the volume could be set so low it appears it is not connected ...

Try checking in Settings > Accessibility > Audio/Visual > Balance, and make sure the balance is set in the middle.

About Hearing Aid Compatibility (HAC) requirements for iPhone - Apple Support

says:

"If you already own an iPhone and a hearing aid, here are some tips to ensure that you have the best experience possible.

iPhone and hearing aids generally work best together in "M" or Acoustic Coupling mode. To use your hearing aid in this mode, make sure that your hearing aid is set to "M", or Acoustic Coupling mode, and position the iPhone receiver near the hearing aid’s built-in microphone (or microphones). In other words, hold your iPhone against your head as you would naturally hold the phone when making a telephone call. The hearing aid will receive audio from the iPhone through its built-in microphones. For the best results, try using the iPhone in different positions relative to your hearing aid — for example, placing the receiver slightly above the ear may result in better performance for hearing aids with microphones positioned behind the ear.

If Acoustic Coupling does not produce a satisfactory result, try using your hearing aid in "T", or telecoil coupling mode. To use your hearing aid in this mode, make sure that your hearing aid is set to "T", or telecoil coupling mode (not all hearing aids have this mode). If you have an iPhone 5 or later, activate Hearing Aid Compatibility (see below).

Activate Hearing Aid Compatibility

To activate Hearing Aid Compatibility on an iPhone with iOS 13 or later, go to Settings > Accessibility > Hearing Devices. On these iPhone models, Hearing Aid Compatibility modifies the phone’s acoustic settings to improve compatibility with hearing aids set in "T" or telecoil mode."

May 18, 2024 1:42 AM in response to brbo

I solved the problem.

This is what I had to do:

Unlike Android, iOS is extremely jealous of the Nucleus 8's pairing and will refuse to connect until the processor has been unpaired from the dead body of my old Samsung Galaxy 8. This took some doing, since the Galaxy's battery capacity now only amounts to a few milliamp hours. For someone whose old phone is completely dead it would be an almost insurmountable problem requiring an expensive consultation with the clinician., who also likely would not be aware of the issue. Apple tout themselves as the gurus of hearing aid connectivity but so far I am yet to figure out how to connect my left hearing aid at all, which is a GN. The "BeMore" app says the phone is incapable of the task. Pathetic. I emphasise again. Legacy pairing with an old Samsung or Pixel is not an issue for anything other than iOS.

Supposedly MFI Nucleus8 cochlear implant cannot connect to new iphone15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.