Kernel panic i9 MBP 5500m

Hi all,

Could anyone decipher this etrecheck report. Just had a kernel panic (not the first time but not had one for over 6 months). Running on low power mode (as previously advised) because anything else seems to cause thermal issues

on this MacBook, however since it's now happened again I thought best to seek advice before contacting Apple directly. `

MacBook Pro 16″, 12.6

Posted on May 17, 2024 6:06 PM

2 replies

May 18, 2024 9:41 AM in response to Lochnivar

Lochnivar wrote:

Hi all,

Could anyone decipher this etrecheck report. Just had a kernel panic (not the first time but not had one for over 6 months). Running on low power mode (as previously advised) because anything else seems to cause thermal issues
<Etrecheck report.log>
on this MacBook, however since it's now happened again I thought best to seek advice before contacting Apple directly. `

<Summary of Crash report (Full report too large).log>

I might try uninstall all < Steam/SteamApps/steamclean > and compare your results..

short of that if no insight reference:

MacBook Pro Late 2013 Restarted because o… - Apple Community

no resolve take it in—

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

May 18, 2024 10:20 AM in response to Lochnivar

There are a couple of clues in this discussion in a non-Apple forum:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/390620/macos-catalina-watchdog-timeout-kernel-panics

First, if you read the thread and compare your kernel panic report to the longer one in that thread, you will see the a portion of what you redacted from yours held a clue to the other user's panics:

Google Drive was part of the problem in that case. I suspect the useless anti-virus stuff was also contributing.

Other sites basically confirm the same thing—"watchdog" is exactly that. It monitors incoming signals, some from devices. If if fails to find something it expects, it get unhappy. I found several posts where the Macbook Pro touchbar was not responding and caused watchdog panics.

Kernel panics are hard to diagnose here but, if you post the entire panic log like you did before using the "Additional Text" tool, we may be able to see the specific device or function that is triggering the panics.

Kernel panic i9 MBP 5500m

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.