Homepod Mini Unable to Connect with Airplay When Set as Apple TV Default Speaker

My single HomePod Mini is set as the default speaker for my Apple TV box. That works fine. The problem is that I am unable to connect the Homepod Mini to AirPlay, e.g. play Apple Music or audiobook from Books app, UNLESS I first change the default speaker setting in Apple TV to a different speaker. Airplay through the HomePod Mini works fine under this scenario. My question: Is this normal? Do I need to change my speaker setting in Apple TV whenever I need AirPlay and change it back when I want the sound through HomePod Mini from Apple TV? Thanks for any help.

HomePod mini

Posted on May 17, 2024 5:57 PM

1 reply

May 17, 2024 11:45 PM in response to Old_Mac_Man

It should still work to AirPlay to, see Allow others to control audio on HomePod To see if there’s a setting in there that doesn’t work for you. Example: Are you using the same “Home” it’s set up in? Same wifi network? Make sure you have wifi turned on in your device. There’s an AirPlay setting on the Apple TV Box as well. Have it set to ON although I think that’s so you can AirPlay to your Apple TV

See also: Play audio on HomePod using an iOS or iPadOS device - Apple Support

Homepod Mini Unable to Connect with Airplay When Set as Apple TV Default Speaker

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.