mobile data not working on ipad mini 6 even though cellular signal is strong

I've tried all the recommended solutions. I have an iPad Mini 6 with WiFi + Cellular and iPadOS 17.5. Cellular signal is strong with 3-4 bars, yet I have no mobile data. This is weird and frustrating. Any thoughts? I have asked Red Pocket to let me swap physical SIM for eSIM. I had the same problem on my iPad Pro 12.9" 2nd Gen. Definitely a mouse in the system.

Posted on May 17, 2024 7:35 PM

4 replies

May 18, 2024 3:01 AM in response to runbei

The majority of mobile phone SIMs are not correctly provisioned for use with tablet computers. If they work at all, they may not provide access to the full range of cellular services. This is not a limitation of the iPad, but of the Cellular network provider.

If using a physical SIM with iPad, you will require a DataSIM explicitly provisioned for iPad or mobile broadband (a.k.a. MiFi).

Be aware that an iPad, whether a Cellular model or not, is not capable of directly accessing Cellular Voice or SMS/MMS Messaging features. An iPad with either WiFi or Cellular connectivity alone can only access IP-data services. If you have added a DataSIM and Cellular plan to a WiFi+Cellular model of iPad, the number associated with the SIM card is only used to identify your account for billing purposes. This number is not used for making calls or sending messages.

May 18, 2024 7:19 AM in response to LotusPilot

YES! Thank you, this is the answer. After posting my question here, further research revealed this Apple list of cellular carriers for iPad: Wireless carrier support and features for iPad in the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico - Apple Support

My present and previous carriers, Red Pocket and Consumer Cellular, don't support iPad WiFi + Cellular. I don't know why they don't tell their support techs about this, as it would have saved lots of us a great deal of time.

I'll now look for a reasonably priced carrier on the list that uses AT&T leased lines - with luck. (I'd love to use T-Mobile, as it's so simple, but it has very poor service here in Mt. View, CA in the heart of Silicon Valley - less than one bar, where AT&T has rock-solid two or three bars indoors and out.

mobile data not working on ipad mini 6 even though cellular signal is strong

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.