Keyboard and Trackpad not working after login

My 2017 13" Air Running Mojave and now updated to Monterey. The Keyboard and Trackpad only work to click on a account to login and type a password, they also sometimes work in recovery mode. So far I've Updated the Mac, Wiped, done the p+r command and power button, R command power button. etc etc. Not sure what else to try here

Thanks

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.7

Posted on May 17, 2024 9:29 PM

3 replies

May 18, 2024 1:07 AM in response to Callumaa

So it does only work BEFORE login and not after?

Try and boot the mac in the safe mode to see if the issues persist. If the issues don;t persist in the safe mode it is caused by an external piece of software, you might want to evaluate the software installed to your mac

Start up your Intel-based Mac in safe mode

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key until you see the login window.
  2. Log in to your Mac.
  3. You might be asked to log in again.
  4. On either the first or second login window, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

May 18, 2024 3:14 PM in response to WheelieNick

Keyboard and Trackpad do not work in safe mode. But I can confirm it is software related as I have a video of them working on the login screen but stop working once logged in. I guess the only other info I can give is it started having trackpad and keyboard issues after my mother tried to reset her login password after she forgot it but canceled the forgot password process half way thru

Keyboard and Trackpad not working after login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.