Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 802.1x WiFi authentication problem

my WiFi access works fine at home and almost all WiFi areas. but i go to school where wireless access is authenticated with a login and password. it works fine on my macbook. since the iPhone has OSX, i thought the school's WiFi would work on my iPhone, but it doesnt. i can see the Network on my iPhone and it has a check mark. but i cant connect to it because i am not authenticated (i think). anyone know how to do this?

iphone and macbook, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Jul 18, 2007 11:43 AM

2 replies

Jul 23, 2007 9:03 AM in response to samtyagi

On the iPhone when you try to connect to 802.1x it may ask for a password, no username, but this won't allow you access to the network. No support for it yet.

Some also allow IPSec and/or PPTP for WiFi you might check with your help desk people. In this case you might see the network but it would not allow you access to anything. You would need to setup VPN settings in Settings > General > Network > VPN > Settings to make a VPN connection. You have to go back to this location to enter your password because it does not save it. Also if you try to use Settings > VPN to connect, you get a number pad not a keyboard to enter your password. This works fine for Apple employes but almost no one else in the world.

Jul 22, 2007 6:12 AM in response to samtyagi

You are not the only one with this problem. At this point, iPhone does not support 802.1X authentication. Thus, even if you know the name of the wireless connection, you cannot enter both the username and the password to have access to the wireless network. Many people have voiced their concern about this and hopefully Apple will release an update on this. At the meantime, you should write to Apple and request for this feature too.

iPhone 802.1x WiFi authentication problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.