Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error -1309

I was copying a 5.2 gig file from my macbook to my external drive, however when it was close to completion I get an error code -1309. I decided to search google to find out what it was, but I didn't find anything on it. I also searched mac support but alas, I found nothing. Could someone please help me?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Jul 20, 2007 12:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2007 5:05 AM

That's a "fileBoundsErr" and is likely a problem if the drive you are copying to is formatted as FAT32 (MSDOS file system), which will not handle files larger than 4GBs. Check GetInfo on it to see how the external drive is formatted.
Francine

User uploaded file
Francine
Schwieder
12 replies

Jul 20, 2007 8:53 AM in response to lordofchaosiori

Hi,
As already mentioned, a disk formatted with FAT32 can't handle files larger than 4 GB.

The only way to store larger files is to reformat your drive.
Use the Disk Utility to format your disk using "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" if your disk is connected to the USB- or Firewire-port of your Mac.

Note: MS Windows can't access disks in the Mac OS format connected to one of the PC ports without using special software (in case you want to switch the disk between PC and Mac).

Another disk format that can handle large files is NTFS, but Tiger doesn't support NTFS disks (planned for Leopard).

/rob

Jul 21, 2007 12:37 AM in response to lordofchaosiori

Hi,
Reformatting your external drive is rather easy but reformatting your Windows partition is more work (depends on the installed applications).
I don't know if your activitation key will work.

If you are planning to copy larger files more often, you better start to plan for a reformat.

Are you talking about a one-time copy of a large file? In that case, try to find a way to reduce the size of the file.
If you want to copy a movie in DVD format, use an application like Popcorn to reduce the size.
Other ways to shrink the file are (depending on the type of file): Compress (=zip) or find an utility that can split the file in several parts.

/rob

Jul 21, 2007 9:21 AM in response to Mac_Robban

I reformatted the Windows partition to NTFS and the activation key worked without any problems. However since OS X can't write to NTFS formatted drives I can't just click and drag the file to the Windows Partition. The file (Command and Conquer 3 DVD image) is over 4 gigs so it won't fit into a DVD or my FAT 32 formatted external drive. I'm afraid if I compress it in OS X using Stuffit I won't be able to decompress it in XP. Is there a way I can work something out?

(I'll start searching for compressing/splitting programs.)

Error -1309

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.