Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dead like black pixel splotches..

I have a mbp c2d 2.16 ghz...
Ive been reading and it seems that many people has had this same problem..
I have some dirty like dead pixels in my screen that look like if it was dirty.. but it is not, it is under the screen...
Ive seen some pictures of other posters and they are exacty.. what worries me is that theyhave been multiplying...
has someone that had this same problem have been helped or the problem has been solved ?
thanks

macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Aug 19, 2007 11:53 AM

54 replies

Aug 19, 2007 1:50 PM in response to macmix

I seem to be having the same problem. The clusters have been slowly growing for about 6 months but i have my MBP for about 13 months. I never bought the Apple Care protection plan. I feel like the only thing I can do is go in and get it replaced but I would like to find out the cause the issue.

[IMG]http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/9240/img0433qv8.th.jpg[/IMG]

Aug 19, 2007 11:23 PM in response to macmix

I have the same problem. I've had my macbook pro replaced twice since last May. My current mbp is just about a year old and I have the same spots on the screen. I just had a new one pop-up about 2 weeks ago. It's really frustrating because I'm kind of narcotic about these kinds of things. I'm planning on going to visit my local apple store to see if what the geniuses have to say. If you've taken you mbp in, what has your outcome been? Any luck?

Aug 20, 2007 2:06 AM in response to lkelly410

my case is as follows... i bougth my mbp at the us, but im not currently there.. i have the one year warranty still as i bought it in april... in the apple store here in my country they told me i had to take some pics so theyll send them to apple to see if they can replace it, but that ill have to pay for the shipping costs of the screen if it applies...
it *****... a 4 month computer having this problems.... they also told me to buy applecare so that i wont have any issues on international warranty :S... but i guess they are just trying to win more money...
so you have replaced your mbp three times beacuse of the same issue ?
i would probably been more than ****** off.. !?

Oct 18, 2007 4:09 AM in response to macmix

hi.
I'm in the same situation, with dead like black pixel splotches, looks like a dirty display. This started just 13 months after purchasing the computer, and this means that i might have to pay up for replacing the display. -pay Apple for for there mistake, unfair. I would really like to see some response from Apple on this matter.
Apple computers are not low budget computer, one would expect some quality and great service.

Nov 10, 2007 1:02 AM in response to martinfunck

I also have the same problem (described another way in the first post of http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-70834.html), and the problem also started one month after my warranty expired.

The fingerprint-like marks are increasing in number, and they appear in areas that do not correspond to any of the raised features (e.g. the keyboard, trackpad button).

I have treated the computer carefully, and have another laptop (different manufacturer and older) that has travelled under all the same circumstances but has no such problem. But that doesn't really mean much on its own. How can we find out if this problem is common?

Nov 10, 2007 1:39 AM in response to Chris42

For reference, here are all the threads I found that appear to discuss this problem:

"Dispay Bruising"
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1170476&tstart=45

"Dark Blotch on Screen"
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1219609&tstart=45

"Display black spots"
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5768589&#5768589

"Dead like black pixel splotches.." (this thread)
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1092319&tstart=0

Nov 13, 2007 12:17 PM in response to Chris42

Hey, Apple did a recall on some Powerbook screens a few years back for some of these same reasons, so maybe we can convince them to do it again somehow. I have no idea how, but it'd be worth a shot. I don't know what the tipping point for numbers would have to be in order to get Apple to do something, but some reparation would be nice. One of the threads I read said that the blotches had to do with heat problems, and that they only occurred on the matte screens. So, if you can get Apple to replace your screen, maybe ask them to give you a glossy screen. Too bad, because I like matte screens a lot better…

Nov 13, 2007 9:55 PM in response to CRusader_69

What I don't understand is why I need to fill up a form and wait for the parts. When the parts arrive, I'm going without my mbp for 5 days in order for them to fix it. For my mbp is just 2 weeks old, why can't they swap with a new one? Sigh...

I'm a newbie with apple and I'm planning to get an Imac 24" for my wife. I think I'll put a hold on that too.

Nov 15, 2007 11:13 AM in response to macmix

I am also having this exact issue. It was very faint at first, but these "splotches" have definitely grown. Initially, it was only near the edges of my screen. Now they have increased in number inward towards the center. My theory is that it is caused from heat on the screen. Either leaving the computer in a hot environment or simply using the computer for a long time and closing the screen on the warm computer. I came to this theory because I used my MBP closed the majority of the time while attached to a monitor and external keyboard/mouse setup the past few months. This was when these "splotches" increased greatly right around the areas where the heat vents from the speaker grills. I bought mine almost a year ago now and plan to take it in. Wish me luck.

Nov 16, 2007 1:30 AM in response to Kendrick07

My screen is matte (I guess - I don't know for a fact; this is the only MacBook/MacBook Pro I've ever seen, and I didn't place the order).

I've never knowingly had my laptop running with the lid closed. The laptop does become very hot while I'm using it, though, and the thought never occurred to me that I should let it cool before closing the lid, so I guess the lid has been exposed to high temperatures. On the other hand, the blotches do not seem particularly correlated with areas that get very hot.

For those of you who got this problem in under a year: I hope Apple replaces your screens! If they do, please don't forget to mention it here.

(If this problem is caused by normal use, I wish I hadn't treated my computer so carefully. Maybe then the defect would have shown up within a year...)

I don't know what to do. I've written (on real paper) to Apple once before about something unrelated, but never received a reply.

dead like black pixel splotches..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.