Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 3G apps crash on startup and cause iPhone to restart

I have found that when starting up some apps on my new iPhone (important: doesn't matter which apps) that they fail to start up and crash back to the iPhone 'desktop'. When this happens, try as I might, they almost ALL seem to do this, until finally the iPhone takes it upon itself to restart (which takes longer than a normal restart. However, after the restart, the apps work again! This sometimes happens after the iPhone has been 'asleep' for a while, but not always. It's as if just opening new apps is too much for it, or that other processes going on in the iPhone are crashing with the apps.
Anybody else having this?
(I have other issues with this new phone here in the UK - see my other posts).
Pete Bell, UK

Intel iMac, TiBook, Mac OS X (10.5.4), iPhone 3G

Posted on Jul 12, 2008 11:06 PM

81 replies

Jul 12, 2008 11:34 PM in response to dolbinau

Before I do this, will I lose anything (like apps bought from the AppStore?)

And on this subject, I was under the impression that apps bought from the AppStore directly via the iPhone would sync to my Mac when next connected? Only the ones I have bought whilst on the Mac show up in the list on the computer (under iTunes sync). So, might I lose the ones bought through the phone if I reset?

Cheers, Pete U.K.

Jul 12, 2008 11:42 PM in response to PeteBell

PeteBell wrote:
Before I do this, will I lose anything (like apps bought from the AppStore?)

And on this subject, I was under the impression that apps bought from the AppStore directly via the iPhone would sync to my Mac when next connected? Only the ones I have bought whilst on the Mac show up in the list on the computer (under iTunes sync). So, might I lose the ones bought through the phone if I reset?

Cheers, Pete U.K.

Pete, be sure to sync your iPhone before you do this. In iTunes go to "Store" at the top and be sure to authorise your computer. When you authorise it, it should sync all of your purchased applications and music.

Jul 13, 2008 12:26 AM in response to fatallonglost

I have just done this (it was already authorised of course, but I did it again anyway).

I then sync'd /backed up my iPhone, but I can assure you that only the apps bought on my computer appear on the list of sync'able applications in iTunes, and not the two apps I bought directly through the iPhone.

I will continue anyway - after giving you guys a few minutes for any comments.

Jul 14, 2008 1:36 PM in response to JMF

I'm in the same boat. My apps are crashing all over the place. One minute they work, the next the crash. E.g. Box Office, File Magnet.

Just like the poster above, the only Apps that appear in the Applications tab in iTunes are those which I've bought on iTunes. None of those which I've installed by the App Store on my iPhone appear in iTunes as syncable.

Are you sure a restore is the only way to fix this problem? Is no one else experiencing the same issue?

Jul 15, 2008 12:20 AM in response to phrozted

I had the same app problems- it's some sort of DRM issue. Simply delete the apps from the phone (hold the icon til they wiggle, them click the x to delete.)
After deleting them from the phone, re-sync with itunes and the apps will be returned to the phone and functional.
Even if you completely lose them from itunes and the phone, you can re-download purchased apps regardless of what you paid.
All your apps will be sync-able once you've deleted them from the phone, so no worries.
hope this helps you guys!

Jul 15, 2008 5:19 AM in response to bmuth

Not really sure whether it does help or not.
You see, the apps which crash are apps which work fine at other times. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't - but the thing is, when one crashes, they all seem to crash. It doesn't seem to be one or two apps which you can single out. Turn off the phone (if it hasn't already crashed) and turn it back on, and all the apps will be working again! Until the next time, that is!

Jul 16, 2008 10:25 PM in response to SBSarah

Seems that is the same thing happening for me here - apps downloaded with the iPhone crash on opening, and they don't show up on my computer iTunes either.

Aha - shut down and restart the iPhone, then sync - it actually does then transfer the apps to your iTunes on the mac.
Fixes the crashing issue as well, it seems...

Message was edited by: sheepincognito

Jul 18, 2008 3:40 PM in response to iphonesick

Here's what I did to fix my app crashing issues.

1.) Connect your iPhone to your computer and launch iTunes
2.) Back Up your iPhone using iTunes
3.) Restore your iPhone using iTunes
4.) Once the iPhone has been restored, this will have flashed your iPhone with the latest version of the 2.0 firmware (yes there is a difference between what came in the box and what is available now).
5.) Enable the "Sync Applications" option in the Applications Tab. This will remove all of the AppStore Apps you have installed on the phone.

You will now be able to go back into the AppStore and download and install the Apps again and have no issues launching them.

I hope this helps everyone.

Jul 18, 2008 7:25 PM in response to PeteBell

I've not had the phone restart but I've had the crashing apps - it seems to be related to syncing.

I have syncing turned on only for calendars and contacts, and music is managed manually.

Today apps were working. Later I was deleting some duplicate music files from the iPhone (via iTunes), then later noticed that none of the (3rd party) apps would run - start for one second then vanish. Cycling power on the phone changed nothing.

Deleting the apps then reinstalling (via the phone) resolved the issue.

The apps seem to crash after every sync requiring a reinstall every time. EXTREMELY ANNOYING to put it mildly.

iPhone 3G apps crash on startup and cause iPhone to restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.