Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

[iPhone] What does "Waiting for Upload" actually mean?

So, I had no problems uploading my application (CheckWord), but now I've got an update with scads of new features that I've been trying to upload for several days. I had problem with the web interface, so I downloaded the Application Loader and used that, which seemed to upload something. However, my app now says "*Waiting for Update*", with a yellow dot.

What does this mean?

A) The upload did not work, so I should try again?
B) The upload worked, so I should wait until something else happens?
C) Something is messed up on Apple's servers, so I should ..... ?

The frustrating thing is that I can upload my update as a NEW app just fine now via the web interface, but there's no way of going back to that for the update once you've selected the "upload later" option.

Has anyone EVER got past the "Waiting for Upload" message?

Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Jul 23, 2008 7:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2008 9:15 AM

There are a couple other threads on it, but it really doesn't matter because even if you make it past waiting for upload you will just be stuck at "In Review".

I found the amount of text for the update description is actually limited to 64 characters. Shortening my update description to 64 got me past the waiting for upload.

Also there seems to some issues with making sure your app identifiers are the same and your certificates are updated correctly too.
11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2008 9:15 AM in response to Mick West

There are a couple other threads on it, but it really doesn't matter because even if you make it past waiting for upload you will just be stuck at "In Review".

I found the amount of text for the update description is actually limited to 64 characters. Shortening my update description to 64 got me past the waiting for upload.

Also there seems to some issues with making sure your app identifiers are the same and your certificates are updated correctly too.

Jul 23, 2008 11:08 AM in response to Mick West

I believe I have a solution!

Apple e-mailed me back this afternoon (finally) and pointed me to two documents on the dev center: "Migrating from iPhone OS beta 6" and "Building and Distributing Multiple OS X iPhone Applications". Ignore the incorrect information in the developer portal and on iTunes connect and follow the instructions here. I was stuck at waiting for upload for a long time but as soon as I followed these instructions to a T it went right to in review.

So no more voodoo, just read and follow the docs.

Jul 23, 2008 12:04 PM in response to Gordon Worley

Gordon, I also got that email yesterday. I printed out the docs and followed them as closely as I could. But still have a problem.

Was your app an update, or a first version? Did you use the app uploader?

Did you generate a new wildcard id? I'd already got one, so I used that. Maybe I'll try again with a new id.

I just wish that Apple would give us a more meaningful error message. It would save so much time.

Jul 23, 2008 12:18 PM in response to Mick West

I also had a Waiting for Upload problem when uploading a new app and I had absolutely followed the instructions perfectly. Long story short, I found that the size of my application affected whether or not the upload worked. My app wouldn't upload when it was 120k, but as soon as I added 10k of junk code it uploaded fine (and yes I am 100% absolutely sure this is the only change I had made).

Jul 23, 2008 12:44 PM in response to Mick West

Well, as soon as I asked for "more meaningfull error messages", I got the following email from Apple:

{quote}
Thank you for your recent binary submission to the App Store. Unfortunately we discovered an issue with your binary that you will need to correct in order for your application to proceed to the review stage. The specific issue is outlined below:

Attempting to Change Bundle Identifier - Once a version of your application has been made available for sale on the store, you must use the same bundle identifier (as specified via the key CFBundleIdentifier in the bundle's Info.plist file) for all updates to that application; any bundle uploaded for that application that has a different bundle identifier will fail validation and not go live for sale. For more information about bundle identifiers, the CFBundleIdentifier key, and the Info.plist file, see Apple's Runtime Configuration Guidelines at http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPRuntimeConfig/BPRun timeConfig.html
{quote}

So I guess my initial question has been answered, and the answer is the "Waiting for Upload" means that SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH YOUR UPLOAD, and hopefully Apple are going to look at it at some some stage and send you an email explaining what is wrong. However, my status did not change, so if they forget to send this email, you could be out of luck.

Anyway, IT WORKED!!! My App update is now "in review".

*The problem was that my initial submission had a bundle id of "com.yourcompany.CheckWord", but the new one was only "checkword"*. I'm not sure when or how this changed. But all I did was edit it in info.plist (or the Target Info - Properties - Identifier, which edits the same thing).

I then went through the dance of deleting the code signing identity, build-clean all, restore the code sign identity (which should make the correct Provisioning profile pop up in the field below if you got it right), and then build, zip, upload. After about 5 minutes I checked it and it was "In Review"

Yay, soon the world will be able to make anagrams on their iPhone.

Jul 31, 2008 2:25 PM in response to Mick West

Ditto. I got an email last night saying mine had gone from review to ready and that was a shade over 7 days from when I submitted it. Even though I had the email, it took the next business day for that to be reflected in the iTunes Connect portal status (not bad really for a manual workflow - they don't have it all seamlessly connected just yet evidently.) And it took another day or so to actually be posted in the store. Once again I'm sure someone has to attend to "stocking" the shelves properly, so to speak. The store presentation is really quite nice considering how little we actually provide so I imagine that is also a somewhat manual process. It's too slick to be fully automated. It shows some TLC.

Anyway, I just started back on the 11th when the new OS was out. I'd done some exploration but only really started developing/learning in earnest since 7/11. Considering that I'm new to Objective-C (though I've forgotten more languages in 35 years of doing this stuff than most of you will get to learn) and I had to do it in my "spare" time and that I had to learn Xcode from scratch, Interface Builder from scratch, I'm relatively new to the Mac too, I have to say that I'm VERY pleased to have gone from 0 to published app in 19 days starting essentially from scratch as an Apple Cocoa developer.

A funny thing happened on the way there. I bought the MacBook a few weeks back just to be able to do iPhone development. In a few short weeks it has won my heart and I can hardly believe that I've put up with Windoze for all these years. It's like being born again. I've bought my last Windoze PC. I love the fact that the Mac is UNIX under the pretty face. I also love the fact that I get two for one. Essentially when you learn Cocoa Touch you pave the way to do native Mac apps in Cocoa. It's a beautiful thing. I'm having a ball.

-dB

Aug 4, 2008 2:32 PM in response to Mick West

Ok, I'm pretty sure this is what fixed it for me, because my app name had spaces in it, so Xcode replace them with _(underscores) so when I went to upload, the bundle identifier was not a valid syntax. So I deleted ${PRODUCT_NAME:identifier} and manually typed the app name in all lower case. Now it's in Review!!

In short, ${PRODUCT_NAME:identifier} = App Namebad
manually changed to: appnamebad
no com.yourcompany stuff, just appnamebad

Hope this helps.

[iPhone] What does "Waiting for Upload" actually mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.