Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 2G with 2.0 V/s iphone 3G

Hello,

I am looking at buying an iPhone. However, I am confused about iPhone 2G V/s iphone 3G. I have a friend of mine willing to sell his iphone 2G (firmware 1.1.4). If I can upgrade this phone to firmware 2.0, what additional benefits would I get if I were to buy a new iphone 3G? Particularly in India, there are no service providers offering 3G services yet. Hence, I can still get all benefits in India using iphone 2G with firmware 2.0 isn't it? What features (firmware or software) would I miss which is ONLY in iphone 3G but not in iphone 2G even with 2.0 upgrade? Can somebody pls clarify?

Thanks,
Giri

T60

Posted on Aug 19, 2008 2:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2008 2:30 AM

Yes you can upgrade the 2G to 2.0.2 You will be able to add third party apps from the iTunes app store is one benefit. IF you can not use 3G in your area then it would be a waste to get the 3G. Buy your friends. But there is one thing to think about. you would not get a warranty with your friends 1st gen.

GPS and 3G are the only differences. other than cosmetic and the 8gb largest 1st gen and 16gb largest 3G.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2008 2:30 AM in response to giridhar_shankar

Yes you can upgrade the 2G to 2.0.2 You will be able to add third party apps from the iTunes app store is one benefit. IF you can not use 3G in your area then it would be a waste to get the 3G. Buy your friends. But there is one thing to think about. you would not get a warranty with your friends 1st gen.

GPS and 3G are the only differences. other than cosmetic and the 8gb largest 1st gen and 16gb largest 3G.

iphone 2G with 2.0 V/s iphone 3G

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.