Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound except when headphones plugged in

I just noticed that there is no sound on my phone except with earphones. The phone calls but I can't hear anything. I just started noticing this today. Alarm and timer sounds are okay.

macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10), iPhone, iPod

Posted on Sep 8, 2008 9:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2008 9:47 PM

Hi

No I have the opposite problem. Sound with headphones; no sound without. I tried blowing compressed air and it it didn't help. Thanks though.
13 replies

Sep 10, 2008 9:44 AM in response to helene goldberg1

your iPhone thinks that the headphones are still plugged in. This has happened to me a few times. With your headphones plugged in, stop the song you're playing (or is being played) and THEN take the jack out. The iPhone comes with a feature that pauses the music when the jack comes out (how thoughtful). Sometimes however this doesn't happen and it "keeps playing" and keeps the external speakers from working.

Sep 9, 2008 5:55 PM in response to helene goldberg1

Same thing here no sound except when headphones are plugged in. Only vibrates when a call come in. Started on 9/8. Compressed air did not work. Powering off and on did not work. Removing sim and replacing sim did not work. Any other suggestions. What good is a phone that has NO SOUND!!! Apple please respond, anyone. Is this a way of being forced into buying the 3GEN or something else???? HMMM

Sep 10, 2008 7:40 AM in response to barnone

I have had this problem more than once, and from what I can tell it comes from unplugging headphones while playing music, talking on the phone or some combonation of all. What I have done to fix this is do just that, play music without headphones, plug them in, unplug them, play again etc. Just go through every possible combonation you can think of. Also if you use an fm transmitter that plugs into the docking port, then you need to use that in your tests as well. I can't tell you the right combination, cause I don't know excatly what it was to fix it, but this has happened to me twice, and I got sound back after both times.

Sep 10, 2008 11:14 AM in response to Sybil M

Thanks all,

I was fiddling with the iphone and started koi pond. I noticed that there was sound coming from the phone, I turned it off and now the phone is working again without the earphones. I don't know whether turning off the sound in koi pond fixed it or if the fact that the sound was on in the first place meant it had fixed itself. For the moment it's working the way it should. bts Apple would have replaced the phone if I had had time to bring it to the genius bar because I had Applecare. I'm glad I didn't need to.

Helene

Sep 21, 2008 2:51 PM in response to jebworks

Hello All

My final resolution after speaking with Apple support about the "no sound" issue, they made an appt for me to take the phone into the Apple store. I did, I was told that it was a speaker problem, currently there is no way to replace the speaker, so my phone was replaced. Problem solved, the speakers on the replaced phone actually sound better than the speakers ever did on original phone purchased.

No sound except when headphones plugged in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.