Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone screen wont come on at all?

Looking for advice please... my fairly new Iphone screen will not come on at all.

I did not drop it, abuse it or hit it. It was working, a coworker came to talk to me, I stopped my music and when I tried to start it again, it would not come on. I pulled out the phone and noticed when I hit the button on the headphones it would not light up screen. I tried the button on the phone but it also does not work.

A friend called me maybe 20 minutes later and Whew it came on but when we hung up, it would not longer come on after! I plugged it on the USB port a good 20 times, called myself from an internet phone and it just won't come back on, argh!

I removed the screen protector and the sleeve it's in but it still will not come on. I removed the SIM card, etc etc etc but no matter what I do there is no life on the screen. If I call from the web, it does ring but that's it.

Would anyone have any ideas for me? I have no home phone and the sim card will no longer work in my old phone leaving me phone less. I actually had to drive to a payphone to call a friend, bleh ....

I hope this is covered by warranty, the limited warranty thankfully seems to cover this since it appears to be a mechanical defect of the phone itself.

Thanks in advance,
Phil

IPhone 3G

Posted on Dec 30, 2008 12:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2008 1:00 PM

If you have a case on it, try it without the case.

Have you tried basic troubleshooting as per the manual?

Page 34

"If something is not working right, restarting or resetting iPhone will likely solve the
problem.
Restart iPhone: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider appears.
Slide your finger across the slider to turn off iPhone. To turn iPhone back on, press and
hold the Sleep/Wake until the Apple logo appears.
Reset iPhone: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the
same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.
For more troubleshooting suggestions, see Appendix A, “Troubleshooting,” on page 131. "

http://manuals.info.apple.com/enUS/iPhone_UserGuide.pdf

Of course the warranty covers this.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2008 1:00 PM in response to Philippe Ferron

If you have a case on it, try it without the case.

Have you tried basic troubleshooting as per the manual?

Page 34

"If something is not working right, restarting or resetting iPhone will likely solve the
problem.
Restart iPhone: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider appears.
Slide your finger across the slider to turn off iPhone. To turn iPhone back on, press and
hold the Sleep/Wake until the Apple logo appears.
Reset iPhone: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the
For more troubleshooting suggestions, see Appendix A, “Troubleshooting,” on page 131. "

http://manuals.info.apple.com/enUS/iPhone_UserGuide.pdf

Of course the warranty covers this.

Dec 30, 2008 1:06 PM in response to roaminggnome

Hum, perhaps my post is unclear or you read it too quickly.

When I say I removed it from it's sleeve, that means it's now the base phone and nothing more.

And how can I reset or restart the phone if the screen will not come on at all? I can press that button and leave it pressed till the cows come home but the screen is black and does not show any sign of life, that is why I made this post.

Dec 30, 2008 1:09 PM in response to Philippe Ferron

Did you read how to reset?

It is not just the home button.

"Reset iPhone: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the
For more troubleshooting suggestions, see Appendix A, “Troubleshooting,” on page 131. ""

Did you try that?

Did you go to page 131 and read what it said?

Dec 30, 2008 1:17 PM in response to Philippe Ferron

Hi Phil,

Does the iPhone screen light up when you plug it into the power adapter(using the cable it came with).

Leave the iPhone plugged in for about 5 minutes and if there is no change after charging, resetting, or restoring it may need hardware repair. Just make a reservation to have a Genius at a local Apple retail store take a look at it or call AppleCare.
http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/
U.S. iPhone technical support: 1-800-MY-IPHONE (1-800-694-7466)

-Jason

Dec 30, 2008 1:29 PM in response to Philippe Ferron

Well miracle or miracles, I went to do other things when I heard the phone ring and lo and behold, the screen was one (like it did earlier)... so I made a point that time to turn it off a few minutes, turned it back on and it works.

I would love to know why it decided to do this... it's bad enough I have to reboot it every week or it decides to drop 100% of calls I place or receive.

For the reboot, I had tried that as I'd done it once before. Maybe I hadn't left it pressed long enough because it had not worked. I did it just now and it does reset and seem to work, sorry if I sound irate, it's a frustrating experience.

Iphone screen wont come on at all?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.