Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

burning DVD's

A friend of mine asked me to make a copy of a movie that he had made. So the first thing I did was extract the contents via MTR and saved to my desktop. But now I don't know how to transfer it to a blank disk. I'm using Maxells DVD-R. At first I just dragged the file to the disk icon and clicked burn. It showed that free space on the disk was now used up but the disk would not play in any of my DVD players. It wouldn't even play on my Mac. It said it was unsupported; or something like that. Would it have made a difference if I used disk utility instead of MTR. Please help

iMAC, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Feb 8, 2009 7:15 PM

4 replies

Feb 8, 2009 8:56 PM in response to virginiaslim76

The proper way to duplicate a disc is:

Duplicate a CD or DVD

1. Insert the DVD/CD;
2. Open Disk Utility, and select the DVD/CD from the left side list (select the DVD/CD icon on top);
3. from the DU File menu select New | Disk Image from Disk 1;
4. Choose to format the disk image as DVD/CD Master, name the disk image and click Save;
5. When the .cdr file is finished select it with mouse and press COMMAND-I to open the Get Info and check the box to lock the file;
6. Choose the .cdr file from the left side list, click Burn, and insert a new, blank DVD or CD.

burning DVD's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.