Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Discoloration on the aluminum macbooks

Hello, has anyone noticed any discoloration on their new aluminum macbooks? When I first opened my macbook and got through the packaging I was two excited to notice anything. But after about three days I noticed a discoloration the size of a thumb print slightly below the power button. Then I started to notice more discolorations in better light and I don't think that it was from me because of been extremely careful and annul for that matter about using it. Has anyone else noticed this or have any advice for this. I could bring it into an apple store, but I wanted to know if this is a common problem, since I also paid $300 dollars more, partially for the better physical design and chassis of the aluminum macbook over the white one.

2.00 gz aluminum macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.6), Only about three weeks old

Posted on Feb 28, 2009 7:55 AM

31 replies

Jun 17, 2009 1:38 PM in response to carl wolf

i've had the laptop less than six months and am already getting this weird discoloration from normal use. interesting how my aluminum Fujitsu laptop never became discolored, even after five years, and i didn't treat it any differently than my macbook. a sony vaio i had was also aluminum where my palms rested and it also didn't discolor.

my laptop was shipped from china, btw. and with all the nightmare quality control problems with chinese drywall and toothpaste, etc., i'm very suspicious that it wasn't anodized correctly. i don't think apple knew about this manufacturing glitch but they do need to take responsibility.

again, it is not normal for properly anodized aluminum to discolor after such a short time. it is you who don't know what you're talking about.

good day.

Jun 16, 2009 7:55 PM in response to carl wolf

Just because Apple states they were anodized doesn't mean it was actually done, or done correctly. Especially if the work was sent overseas. For instance, unfortunately there have been tons of quality control issues coming out of China recently.

I still have my Fujitsu Lifebook laptop, and it's made of aluminum where my palms would rest. Guess what? No discoloration! Hmmm, they must've anodized the aluminum correctly.

Yes, of course it's up to me to maintain my computer correctly. Every computer I've ever had I've protected like a mother hawk. Apple did not warn me that the sweat and oils from my hand could cause this unsightly white discoloration (on the aluminum). In fact, Apple's toll free tech support folks aren't even aware of it, or why it would happen, or that I should wipe my computer after each use.

I'm making a Genius appt at the local Apple store. It'll be interesting to find out what they have to say...

Feb 28, 2009 8:29 AM in response to RPGGUY1

Well, this is an engineering error from apple, this is called oxydation, aluminum DO rust, but the color is not "orange", it's white. Since the sweat on your hand is a bit acid, it accelerate the aluminum oxydation. So the more you'll use your mac, it'll get whiter and whiter on the sides of the touchpad (where you put you palms to type on the keyboard)...you may exchage it for a new one, it wont make a difference, you'll get white spots anyway, unless you want a refund and buy a previous generation (white or black)...

Message was edited by: AarDVark101

Mar 3, 2009 3:40 AM in response to RPGGUY1

I have noticed some discoloration on the bottom panel of my new macbook(unibody). I've had it since early November and noticed it soon after receiving it. I treat the product very well and had only put it on a wooden table prior to noticing the marks.

Upon closer inspection it looks like very minute scratches i think, almost like the polishing machine went in the wrong direction or something. It's hard to take a picture of it, because it's only visible in lighting at a particular angle.

Needless to say, my OCD flared up. but the machine has no other issues(yet).... so i decided to stick with it and replace the panel eventually. Some MacBookPro(Unibody) owners have noticed something similar on the speaker grills, under certain lighting, as well.

It was disappointing to notice this manufacturing defect so I tried contacting the local AASP, but didn't get a reply. I guess i'll have to get the panel replaced by paying for it now.

Mar 23, 2009 5:10 PM in response to RPGGUY1

"To be pedantic, aluminium doesn't rust, only iron does."

If you mean that you are "unimaginative" and "pedestrian", I can't disagree with you.

Rust is partially defined as:
"a. the reddish brittle coating formed on iron especially when chemically attacked by moist air and composed essentially of hydrated ferric oxide b: a comparable coating produced on a metal other than iron by corrosion c: something resembling rust : accretion 2: corrosive or injurious influence or effect"

In summary, the oxidation of aluminum is a type of "rust".

Mar 23, 2009 11:41 PM in response to RPGGUY1

"I wanted to point out that I just recently noticed that on my keyboard there are many cases of discoloration and what I believe to be paint chipping."

The MB casework is not "painted" - the surface finish is "anodized". An anodized surface does not "chip". It is relatively easy to stain an anodized surface with sweat and oils, and very difficult to remove the stains. Before every use, be sure that your hands are clean and dry. Before you close the clamshell, be sure the surfaces are clean and dry. Be sure that the bottom cover is clean and dry. I might sound repetitive, but CLEAN and DRY are important.

Mar 23, 2009 11:42 PM in response to RPGGUY1

Take it in right away. Aluminium should not discolor that fast.

As for the statements that aluminum does not rust, it is the very rust that gives it the properties it has.

Iron oxide is rust in iron and aluminum oxide is rust in aluminum

It is the oxide coating that gives aluminum the anti corrosive properties. Unlike iron, the rust actually protects aluminum from corroding further. Aluminum Oxide is actually one of the hardest structures on earth. Anodized aluminum is actually processed aluminum to have a harder "crust"

So to say it does not rust is misinformation.

Mar 24, 2009 4:55 AM in response to Antoniuk

I didn't say it doesn't corrode, I said that technically (or pedantically) it is not rust as this term refers to corrosion of iron.

If you read the whole of my post I go on to describe exactly that corrosion, explain that the MacBook is anodised so shouldn't be corroding already and that the user should return the MacBook.

I certainly don't see anything in my post that is misinformation or required the incredibly snide comments of Carl Wolf.

Mar 24, 2009 12:58 PM in response to carl wolf

Thanks for your answer. Like I said I have been extremely anal and careful when using my macbook. Therefore, my hands have always been clean and dry and I wipe down the keyboard with a screen cleaning cloth before closing the lid. So I think I will bring it into apple to have the casing replaced, because something went wrong in the manufacturing process.

Mar 24, 2009 11:26 PM in response to Jim Pomme

Jim Pomme wrote:

I didn't say it doesn't corrode, I said that technically (or pedantically) it is not rust as this term refers to corrosion of iron.

It is exactly like rust as this term refers to iron. The only difference is the rust on aluminum protects the underlying metal from corroding further where in iron the process will continue unabated until all metal is consumed.

I think what you mean is that technically rust refers to ferric metal structures and in the lay sense aluminum simply corrodes.

Do some research on mercury and aluminum to educate yourself.

Apr 7, 2009 3:47 PM in response to RPGGUY1

Just to be clear are you talking about the 13" Aluminum unibody? The reason I ask is because I did indeed have this problem with a brand new unibody I bought at BestBuy on 3/31/09. After a few days I noticed what looked like splotches to the right of the trackpad. It didn't make any rhyme or reason why they would be there and I've been very careful with it in the 6 days I'd had it. So I took it back to Best Buy and the geek squad people looked at it, tried to clean it and a weird thing happened: the blotches vanished - only to come back 15 seconds later even worse!!

As far as sweat causing issues with aluminum, I don't know about Apple but I do know Aluminum bicycle frames are at risk of corrosion and staining from sweat; also anything with acid in it like cocoa cola or energy drinks.

Thankfully Best Buy swapped my Macbook out for a new one but eesh, quite worrisome.

Discoloration on the aluminum macbooks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.