Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

802.1x WEP & iPhone Configuration Utility

Hi All!!

I have just arrived back from our Easter vacation to find the school I work for has changed wireless from WPA-PSK to 802.1x WEP. It didn't take long for me to change my MacBook Pro over to the new settings, but we (our IT Guys and myself) are having great difficulties with the iPhone Configuration Utility and the resulting Profile file. A continuous error message of "Unable to join the network "School_Name"".

We have been using the same configurations for the iPhone in the Configuration Utility as we did for the MacBook Pro, but I keep having the feeling that we are missing something. I am a complete novice when it comes to this side of computing, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the preferences we have been using:

*_Network Prefs_* (Taken from MacBook Pro)
Network Name: School's SSID
Security: 802.1x WEP
User Name: Domain Login Name
Password: Domain Password

*_802.1x Prefs_* (Taken from MacBook Pro)
User Name: Domain Login Name
Password: Domain Password
Wireless Network: School's SSID
Authentication: TLS
TLS Certificate: VALID

*_iPhone Configuration Utility_*
We are little stuck as what to use for the Identifier under the General Tab in the iPhone Configuration Utility.

We have set the Security Type to WEP Enterprise with the EAP Type as TLS.

Under the Credentials Tab, we have generated a "School" certificate and a "User" certificate to be uploaded. These are the same type of certificates I have installed in my KeyChain on the MAcBook Pro.

The subsequent Profile which is generated is uploaded to the iPhone via email and is installed successfully. The profile shows that it is verified. But, no connection is made. The iPhone is not even showing up on the AIS Server log.

I hope that I have supplied enough information. If not, please ask for more.

Thanks in advance.

Rodger

iMac (Intel); MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6), iPhone 3G; 16GB; FW 2.2.1

Posted on Apr 23, 2009 9:43 PM

2 replies

802.1x WEP & iPhone Configuration Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.