Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No-commit, no-contract iPhone 3G S?

Will the iPhone 3G S be sold without a contract?

Could someone share what they know about this, the more details the better 🙂

iPhone 3G S, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jun 11, 2009 6:09 PM

37 replies

Jun 11, 2009 6:20 PM in response to Geetanjali Shivdasani

Yes, AT&T offers the 3G S at $599/699 with "No commitment, no contract". These phones are still carrier locked to AT&T, so they can't be used anywhere else. I don't think you can buy one without setting up AT&T service.

The advantages are that you can terminate service without any "early termination" penalty at any time and you are eligible for standard (new customer) subsidized pricing if upgrading to another phone at any time (if you then sign a contract).

Message was edited by: modular747

Jun 11, 2009 6:21 PM in response to Geetanjali Shivdasani

AT&T's no-commitment or no-contract price for the iPhone 3GS is as follows:

$599 (16GB) and $699 (32GB)

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=1574

This does not mean the iPhone is sold as unlocked at this price. The no-commitment or no-contract price just means you don't have to sign a contract, but the iPhone remains carrier locked with AT&T. You can use the iPhone 3GS purchased at this price on a pay-as-you-go basis.

Jun 11, 2009 6:29 PM in response to Geetanjali Shivdasani

Thanks for the quick replies.
So here is my situation:

I am on a family plan with a few other iPhone 3Gs, and myself who has an iPhone 3G.
I would like to upgrade to the iPhone 3G S but the other lines do not want to and therefore do not want to renew the contract, forcing me into the no-commit, no-contract price. I am also under 18 and not the primary line on the account.

Will I be able to go to an AT&T or Apple Store and buy the phone on launch day at $599/$699 by myself, being under 18 and not the primary?

Any help would be appreciated, ask if you need additional details.

Jun 11, 2009 6:41 PM in response to Geetanjali Shivdasani

If you are in a family plan under someone else as the primary, you are covered by the existing family plan contract and the no contact-no commitment plan does not apply.

I believe that to establish any type of cell service account in your name, even without a contract, you have to be over 18 and undergo a credit check. However, only AT&T can answer that definitively.

Message was edited by: modular747

Jun 11, 2009 7:08 PM in response to Geetanjali Shivdasani

Few more things 🙂

Does the parent need to be the primary, or anybody over 18 on the family plan?

Am I understanding the concept of the no-commit, no-contract price, it is basically like buying an iPod, just a device without any ties to AT&T but that can be activated whenever I want. I will be just moving my SIM from my 3G to my 3G S, will this work?

Jun 11, 2009 7:16 PM in response to Geetanjali Shivdasani

Purchasing an iPhone 3GS at AT&T's no-commitment or no-contract price does have ties to AT&T. The iPhone is sold in the U.S. as carrier locked with AT&T only regardless if used with a post-paid account, or with the no-contract or pay-as-you-go option. With a new iPhone purchase, none of the iPhone functions work until the iPhone is activated with AT&T - including with the no-contract or pay-as-you-go option - except for being able to place an emergency 911 call.

Anyone over 18 that has a line under your Family Plan may not be listed as an additional primary for the account. A person under 18 cannot sign a contract, and a contract is involved even with a no-contract or pay-as-you-go option regarding payment terms, etc.

Jun 11, 2009 7:50 PM in response to Geetanjali Shivdasani

The more I think about it, it may be possible for you to do this. Effectively, you are someone with an existing phone without commitment, who can enter and leave a family plan without affecting the plan contract. Normally when someone joins as a secondary member and buys a subsidized phone, the plan takes on a new contract for 2 years. Since you have no subsidy, you could join without resetting the contract duration, though there may be fees. Since the plan isn't in your name, you don't have to be over 18.

However... what seems logical isn't always the case and I don't know for sure what AT&T's policy is. You have to call them.

Jun 11, 2009 7:51 PM in response to Geetanjali Shivdasani

Copied from one of your previous posts.

I am on a family plan with a few other iPhone 3Gs, and myself who has an iPhone 3G.
I would like to upgrade to the iPhone 3G S but the other lines do not want to and therefore do not want to renew the contract, forcing me into the no-commit, no-contract price. I am also under 18 and not the primary line on the account.

Your line/number for your iPhone will no longer be under the existing contract for the Family Plan if you go with the no-contract or pay-as-you-go option with your iPhone 3GS purchase.

Since I am keeping this plan and not renewing anything, what am I signing when I buy the no-commit, no-contract iPhone 3G S?

I already answered this with my previous post.

A contract which is an agreement involving payment terms, service, rates, etc. It is a contract, just not a long term contract or annual contract.

I am fairly certain that you will not be able to enter into any agreement with AT&T if you are under 18.

And if your iPhone 3G was purchased at AT&T's subsidized or discounted price, your line/number remains under contract with AT&T under the Family Plan. You cancel the existing contract for the subsidy received for the iPhone 3G and the account holder for the Family plan will be charged an early contract termination fee for your line being cancelled with the Family plan.

You need to contact AT&T - I suggest visiting a local AT&T store to ask if someone under 18 is able to get a no-contract or pay-as-you-go option with AT&T.

Jun 11, 2009 8:04 PM in response to Geetanjali Shivdasani

I think I need to clarify that I am not getting on my own contract or a PAYG contract, I am simply getting the phone and using it in substitute of my iPhone 3G. I am staying with the rest of my family on the same contract, but they wont let me renew it for another 2 years and therefore can't get the $399/$499 price.

No-commit, no-contract iPhone 3G S?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.