Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone Not charging/turning on

hello! just got my iphone about a month ago and for some reason my screen went to a white scratchy screen type thing. now ive done a lot of research and i deffinatly dident have the legendary White Screen thing it was more like a 80% white with 20% black lines accross. so i hard rebooted it and went back to normal. but my iphone started getting really hot, fry an egg-hot so i got a fan and let it blow some air on it. then later i listened to some music and my battery died on me so i placed it on my charger and nothing happened. just a black screen. i just thought that oh it might take a while to boot up but well about 6 hours later and no sign well then i started freakin out. but heres the greatest thing. we have no at&t around here. im from the Fargo-Moorhead area (Minnesota/North Dakota Border) and there is no service here. closest place is probly Grand Forks but thats a good 3 hours away. so no at&t means no apple store. so i have no place to repair this baby and first off i have no idea whats wrong with it. first i just thought maby its the dock port. maby that little chip where you plug into stoped working. i really have no clue so if this sounds like somthing you might know whats wrong please tell me.

Thanks

Iphone 2G, Windows XP

Posted on Jul 18, 2009 5:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2009 6:05 PM

You should try a DFU recovery, and restore as a new iPhone:

1. Start iTunes
2. Plug the phone into a USB port on the computer (not an external hub) and let it charge for 15 minutes.
3. Press both the home and sleep/wake button until the Apple logo appears, and the continue pressing the home button alone until iTunes sees the phone in recovery mode.
4. Follow the prompts to restore as a new iPhone.

If this works, run the phone in Airplane mode, since you have no cellular service.
If it doesn't work. it will need service. If it still is under warranty, you can call: 1-800-694-7466

Message was edited by: modular747
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2009 6:05 PM in response to ER!K

You should try a DFU recovery, and restore as a new iPhone:

1. Start iTunes
2. Plug the phone into a USB port on the computer (not an external hub) and let it charge for 15 minutes.
3. Press both the home and sleep/wake button until the Apple logo appears, and the continue pressing the home button alone until iTunes sees the phone in recovery mode.
4. Follow the prompts to restore as a new iPhone.

If this works, run the phone in Airplane mode, since you have no cellular service.
If it doesn't work. it will need service. If it still is under warranty, you can call: 1-800-694-7466

Message was edited by: modular747

Jul 18, 2009 6:05 PM in response to ER!K

If your iPhone does not turn on after a period of time after being connected to the wall charger either, you don't need an Apple store nearby, and AT&T does not handle any iPhone repairs or exchanges under Apple's warranty.

You can call AppleCare at (800) 694-7466 and handle everything over the phone. If AppleCare determines that you iPhone needs to be exchanged under warranty, they will ship the exchange to your door - someone must be available to sign for the delivery. AppleCare will request a credit card number in case you don't return the iPhone being exchanged. You will use the same box to return your iPhone being exchanged and the return shipping label will be located below the shipping label to you. AppleCare includes a small paperclip to remove the SIM card and tape to reseal the box. When the box is ready to be picked up, you call the number for the shipping carrier provided inside the box with the instructions.

Iphone Not charging/turning on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.