Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Mail.app with Outlook OWA (web access)

I'm having an awful time using Mail to access my university email account. I know multiple other mac users for whom the following settings DO work. I have verified the settings MANY TIMES and I am POSITIVE they are correct, so that is not the issue. The settings were provided by my IT department.

Email: my full school email address (containing the @blah.edu)
POP server: outlook.com
SSL: on, port 995
Authentication: password

Error message: "The server error encountered was: The server “outlook.com” refused to allow a connection on port 995."

If I try to use terminal to SSH to outlook.com on port 995, I get the same message.

My IT department opened a service ticket with microsoft and they were unhelpful. The same problem occurs with Mozilla Thunderbird.

The following link provides the directions from Microsoft:
http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/cc511401.aspx

MacBook 13" Aluminum, Mac OS X (10.5.7), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.0ghz, 4GB RAM

Posted on Aug 7, 2009 3:24 PM

1 reply

Oct 13, 2009 7:39 PM in response to rwjones

Outlook.com is not a server's hostname, it's a domain name registered by Microsoft:

====
Registrant:
Microsoft Corporation
1 Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
US

Domain name: OUTLOOK.COM

Administrative Contact:
Administrator, Domain DOMAINS@MICROSOFT.COM
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
US
+1.4258828080
Technical Contact:
Hostmaster, MSN msnhst@microsoft.com
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
US
+1.4258828080
====

So unless by some strange reason Microsoft is hosting your school's email (and even at that, you'd still need the hostname), then what you need for the POP server probably looks like mail.blah.edu.

It is odd that those settings were provided by your IT department, but not odd that neither SSH nor Thunderbird were successful (since outlook.com in itself is NOT a hostname).

If you can elaborate more with your specific domain name, we may be able to help further.

Using Mail.app with Outlook OWA (web access)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.