Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

getting iPhone...what's ur specs?

Aight guys, I'm going to go with mobile me, replacing old iPod, and need a solid phone. I'm going to go with the iPhone 3G S but I have a few quick questions:

1) What is your specs? How much of what kind of data is on your phone? Are you at your carrying capacity?

2) How does the iPhone function using up most of the hard drive?

3) Misc...anything you want to add.

4) Does anyone have knowledge of an iPhone in the works with a bigger HD?

My purpose for all this is what I stated above. I'm dishing my old iPod and am just going to use iPhone to handle both duties. Right now I have about 15GB used up on my 20gig version (old, I know). That being said, that right there takes up half of the iPhone's HD, you add that to other information such as contacts, apps, videos, etc...then my HD is going to load up pretty quick.

I don't want to get a regular scroll wheel iPod or even iPod touch if I can combine all devices but having a device that can handle it all is critical. And, most importantly, with all that on the phone does it still operate smoothly or will there be any lagging, slow response time (seeing as how the whole benefit of the 'S' is the faster processing). Mind you I intend to use it for mostly my music, and contacts (and all that encompasses). But I guess there will also be a fair amount of apps and videos since the phone is so functional in that way.

Anyways, just general reviews and insight would be helpful.

Gracias.

Posted on Sep 7, 2009 9:07 PM

3 replies

Sep 7, 2009 10:52 PM in response to SpinTk

The following picts show what is on my phone.

User uploaded file
User uploaded file

The darker blue represents music videos which overlap both the music and video categories.

The phone works fine with this stuff loaded. You have to be judicious about how much of your iTunes library you sync at one time. I sync by using selected playlists. Some playlists contain my favorites and hardly ever change. Other playlists I use to cycle stuff on and off the phone and these change frequently.

One thing I find useful is an external battery pack. I use the Mophie Juice Pack Air, which doubles my battery time. I don't use it every day, but only when I anticipate heavy use like watching videos on a cross country flight or using my TomTom app for a road trip.

The 3GS was just released this summer. The biggest one available is 32GB. There has been a new phone every summer for three years. I doubt you'll see another one till next summer, but I could be wrong.

You can download an iPhone Users Guide here: http://manuals.info.apple.com/enUS/iPhone_UserGuide.pdf

Browse through it to see if the phone will do what you need it to do.

Sep 8, 2009 10:58 PM in response to SpinTk

Contacts and apps don't really take up that much room. Video does.

4) Apple disallows speculation on these forums. However, you may draw your own conclusions from past events, if you wish. Apple announces new iPod touches tomorrow (9 Sept). In previous years, the newest iPod touch has used similar hardware as the iphone-to-be. For instance, you could buy a 32GB ipod touch before a 32GB iphone was available. However, Apple has set a pattern of June/July iPhone releases, although the very first year they did release a larger hard drive in February. But they haven't since.

getting iPhone...what's ur specs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.