Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone is not showing as mobile device in windows explorer anymore

Every since I upgrade to iTunes 9.0.1, anytime I would connect my iPhone 3GS and switch tabs under the iPhone entry iTunes would crash. So I decided to removed all the iTunes software and reinstall it. After I completed the install everything seems to work fine, iTunes dosen't crash anymore. However, I now have noticed that when I connect my iPhone it no longer appears as a device in windows explorer or in "Scanners/Cameras" under windows control panel anymore. so I can't copy my photos off the phone. I have tried different usb ports and uninstalling the "Apple Mobile Driver" but so far nothing has worked. Any other suggestions?

Custom Built PC, Windows Vista

Posted on Oct 3, 2009 11:12 PM

27 replies

Oct 13, 2009 6:00 PM in response to wags317

I am having the same issue. I have had it in previous Itunes releases AND on multiple windows operating systems. (Win XP Pro (32 bit), Vista (64 bit) AND Win 7(64 bit))

I just did an experiment and when I totally uninstall ALL of the apple software Itunes, Apple Mobile Device, App Helper all of it. The iphone shows up in Win explorer and works fine. Able to copy pics from phone to my PC and delete from phone. But when I reinstall Itunes et al. The iphone stops showing up in the explorer and I have no way to remove pics from my iphone. This has been happing for a while, but I could not identify the issue. Now I know that it is being caused by something that is installed with Itunes most likely the Apple mobile device USB driver. This is insanely annoying would LOVE to get it fixed or explained by apple ASAP. Thanks!

Oct 16, 2009 5:04 PM in response to MOAIS

Ok, so it seems like a problem in iTunes based on what you are saying MOAIS, I originally thought it was iTunes that is causing the problem since it stopped showing after 9.0.1, what version of iTunes and iPhone OS are you using, the latest?

My guess to why it's not working is the updates in the iTunes where you are able to customize the Home Screens and the the iPhone Configuration Utility.

Oct 22, 2009 7:46 AM in response to wags317

I am starting to wonder what to do with this problem. I do have it as well, and the cause is exactly the same : iTunes 9.0.1 + iPhone OS 3.1.2 updates.

As other people mentioned already, the workaround is third party apps... And the solution would be a new iPhone OS update ?

I read in another post that 3.1.2 did not raise any problem, maybe we can start by this one then ? Not being able to take the pictures of the camera roll is rather impairing for me. And no I am not going to either pay for a 3rd party app or mail myself a few thousand photos

Oct 22, 2009 8:03 AM in response to Sponge-e-bob

I had no problem before or after the update to either iTunes or 3.1.2. While there are few people reporting this problem, the number is tiny compared to other problems reported with the update. So it is likely something specific to your PC and not a general problem with 3.1.2 or 9.0.1.

Have you tried completely removing iTunes ( http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1925?viewlocale=en_US), rebooting, and reinstalling from a fresh download? Be sure to disable your antivirus during the installation, as it can block installation of the iPhone drivers.

Oct 25, 2009 6:01 AM in response to wags317

Hey,
I tried connecting my iPhone to a friends Mac and I wasn't able to see the photos in iPhoto either.

I have solved the problem though, well not me really, I found it in one of the other threads on here about not being able to see the iPhone on iPhoto.

Go through your Camera Roll and get rid of all the pictures in there that weren't taken with the iPhone camera, I had pictures in there that people had sent me via MMS and pictures that I had downloaded from e-mails. I e-mailed myself any important pictures and deleted the rest, leaving just all the photos I had taken with the iPhone camera. Connected to the computer and the iPhone is showing in My Computer again.

Hope this helps everyone here.

Oct 25, 2009 6:32 AM in response to bkbooth11

bkbooth11 wrote:
Hey,
I tried connecting my iPhone to a friends Mac and I wasn't able to see the photos in iPhoto either.

I have solved the problem though, well not me really, I found it in one of the other threads on here about not being able to see the iPhone on iPhoto.

Go through your Camera Roll and get rid of all the pictures in there that weren't taken with the iPhone camera, I had pictures in there that people had sent me via MMS and pictures that I had downloaded from e-mails. I e-mailed myself any important pictures and deleted the rest, leaving just all the photos I had taken with the iPhone camera. Connected to the computer and the iPhone is showing in My Computer again.

Hope this helps everyone here.

Thanks bkbooth11 I did as you suggested and that fixed the problem. Hopefully they will patch that soon as it is rather inconvenient.

iphone is not showing as mobile device in windows explorer anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.