Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone wont charge past 20 %

I just bought a phone off ebay and replaced the dock connector assembly because of a bad speaker. After reassembling the phone i found that everything worked great except the phone wouldn't charge or be recognized by my macbook. I plugged it into my ihome and it played through the ihome speakers. When i shut off the phone i can plug in a usb and it will turn on like its being recognized, and if i drain the battery i can get the red empty battery icon, but it will only stay until the phone has enough juice to run than will start up and stop charging.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

3g, iPhone OS 3.1.2

Posted on Jan 25, 2010 10:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2010 11:23 PM

Hi, Hippyremix, welcome to the forums. First off, you may indeed have a dying battery which is why it was on eBay to start with. If this shows 20% is that an estimate of yours or is that displayed as it was not until the 3Gs that percentages were available. Of course, you may have bought a jail-broken iPhone; and as you have replaced some parts, warranties will probably no longer apply.

It may also be that the battery is not calibrated. You say you connect via USB and there is a problem with charging: if the USB port carries insufficient power, that will not charge the iPhone. Best, if you do not know (like a keyboard USB port) is to use a USB port in the back of the computer --which do you have by the way? -- or a charger that goes in a mains socket.

To calibrate when you have a working charge system, run the battery down until the phone goes off completely, then recharge completely. If this is not working for you, then a replacement battery may be needed.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2010 11:23 PM in response to Hippyremix

Hi, Hippyremix, welcome to the forums. First off, you may indeed have a dying battery which is why it was on eBay to start with. If this shows 20% is that an estimate of yours or is that displayed as it was not until the 3Gs that percentages were available. Of course, you may have bought a jail-broken iPhone; and as you have replaced some parts, warranties will probably no longer apply.

It may also be that the battery is not calibrated. You say you connect via USB and there is a problem with charging: if the USB port carries insufficient power, that will not charge the iPhone. Best, if you do not know (like a keyboard USB port) is to use a USB port in the back of the computer --which do you have by the way? -- or a charger that goes in a mains socket.

To calibrate when you have a working charge system, run the battery down until the phone goes off completely, then recharge completely. If this is not working for you, then a replacement battery may be needed.

Iphone wont charge past 20 %

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.