Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone "Other" storage continuously expanding - help

So here's my problem - earlier today my iphone gave me the low on space warning. I thought that was odd, because I thought I still had a few hundred MBs free, but I looked and it said 0 kb free. Anyway, I then went and deleted a few apps. It freed up space for a minute or two. Then it gave the low on space warning again. I looked again. It was once again at 0 kb.

I sync it with iTunes. iTunes shows 1+ gigs of "other" storage - the orange bar. I delete a few gigs of music to free up more space. This space begins immediately shrinking. On iTunes, I can literally look every few seconds and see the "other" storage go up and the free space go down. This happens even if my iPhone is disconnected from my computer and there is nothing running - free space just disappears constantly until there is none left.

I deleted my entire music collection, but this just made the "other" storage balloon to over 8 gigs until I once again had 0 space free. Now, a lot of applications won't work, I can't take pics with camera or check email because if there is free space it just gets eaten up immediately, etc.

I've had my iPhone for about half a year and it has never done this - just today out of the blue. Is there any way to fix this without resorting to a restore? I have a lot of saved progress in my games and other 3rd party apps that I understand will be lost if I restore.

iPhone 3GS, iPhone OS 3.1.2

Posted on Mar 14, 2010 7:53 PM

2 replies

Mar 14, 2010 10:36 PM in response to brandnew2

The large amount of "Other" indicates data that iTunes can't recognize. A Restore will fix that. You can restore from your backup and retain all of your app data. I have done this to resolve excessive "Other" and no data was lost.

This article will explain the restore process and show you the screens you will see during the restore: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

If the problem still persists after your restore, you may have to restore again and set up your phone as a new phone. In this case, you will lose your app data, but your phone will work properly.

iPhone "Other" storage continuously expanding - help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.