Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Won't Sync with MKV to MP4 720p Videos

I converted some mkv files (1280x720p x264, AC3) to mp4 using QuickTime 7 and Perian by exporting to mp4 with the video set to pass thru, and the audio set to AAC 160 Kbps 48 kHz. ITunes won't let them sync with my iPad, but it doesn't tell me why. One possible issue is that the atom (something I know nothing about) has been reported as having a length larger than the whole file by another program. Is there something I can change with my conversion method or an application on the Mac that will repair the atom?

Thank you

iPad, Other OS, Wifi, 64GB

Posted on Apr 6, 2010 8:20 PM

5 replies

Apr 14, 2010 5:33 AM in response to Carbonizer

I converted some mkv files (1280x720p x264, AC3) to mp4 using QuickTime 7 and Perian by exporting to mp4 with the video set to pass thru, and the audio set to AAC 160 Kbps 48 kHz.

Are you actually trying to determine the cause of the problem or just end up with a playable file? If the latter, then don't pass through the video unless you are certain it meets the Main Profile @ L3.1 (or under) standard. Otherwise, re-compress both video and audio to supported standards as specified on the Apple web site or use any compatible QT or third-party preset you may prefer.

If trying to determine the actual problem here, then download and use one of the various movie info utilities that will allow you to examine the various settings used to encode the source video track to specifically include the profile and level used and see if they comply with ISO/IEC Moving Picture Experts Group standards. Many non-Apple custom encoded source files may either be encoded using profiles/levels exceeding iPad limits, employ hybridized or mixed encodings features drawn from multiple profiles/levels, or simply require a third-party decoder like those included in the Perian component package for playback and which, of course, are not available in the iPad firmware OS. Basically, when you pass the video data through without confirming its compatibility, you do so at your own risk.

Apr 17, 2010 5:41 AM in response to Jon Walker

Saw today for the first time my webpages on an iPad. I noticed _all my MP4 Videos do not display_. I get the play triangle button with a strike through. (Flash videos provide an entirely different message)

Below is the code I am using. Can anyone suggest why it wont play on an iPad when _it works fine on PC's and IE and Mac's with Safari._ Should I use a different code? And if this isn't the forum for such a question, please could you direct me to one.

Finally I want my sites to be 100% compatible with the iPad which I suspect will be come the new standard.

Thanks
Sandy
PS tried the link above - not found.

<object classid="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B" codebase="http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab" width="478" height="266">
<param name="src" value="HopeTownHV.mp4">
<param name="autoplay" value="true">
<param name="controller" value="true"><embed height="266" pluginspage="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/" src="HopeTownHV.mp4" type="video/quicktime" width="478" controller="true" autoplay="true">
</object>

Apr 19, 2010 4:24 PM in response to Sandy Estabrook

I just ran into the same problem. I found this on the Apple Developer site and hope it is the solution (not at work right now so I can't test it):

http://developer.apple.com/safari/library/samplecode/HTMLvideoexample/Introduction/Intro.html

If you try it let me know if it works.

Message was edited by: Decomposer

Message was edited by: Decomposer

Apr 19, 2010 5:28 PM in response to Decomposer

Regarding my earlier post.

Called Apple about my problem. The tech guy asked for my website giving me this problem. He checked it and no problem!

Seems the problem lies with Best Buy, where I was playing with the iPad. It has something to do with their restrictive firewall and wifi for all the computers to limit video at their store.

Anyway if the Apple tech guy can see my MP4's on his iPad, all is OK.

Sorry for the false alarm

-Sandy

iPad Won't Sync with MKV to MP4 720p Videos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.