Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Photo Adapter also import video from camera?

I use my Sony camera to take videos and transfer them via the USB connection to iPhoto on my MacBook or load them directly to my hard disk.

Will the iPad Video Adapter accept video as well as from the camera into the video player?

As a side issue, will the video from the iPod 5th Gen iPod connect via USB?

MacBook, iMac, iPhone, MobileMe, 5G Nano, Mac OS X (10.6.1), Airport Express, Time Capsule, iWork '09, iWork '09

Posted on Apr 12, 2010 5:21 PM

12 replies

Apr 13, 2010 5:08 AM in response to popster

I use my Sony camera to take videos and transfer them via the USB connection to iPhoto on my MacBook or load them directly to my hard disk... Will the iPad Video Adapter accept video as well as from the camera into the video player?

Most Sony digital camewra save their video as "muxed" MPEG-1 content. Since this format is not supported on the iPad at all, it definitely will not import/playback on the iPad. While QT does support MPEG-1 file for "playback only," it cannot convert these files natively and retain audio. Use a free application like MPEG Streamclip, iSquint, FFmpegX, VisualHub (if you can find it), VideoMonkey, etc. to first convert the file to an iPad compatible compression format and then use iTunes as previously stated to manage your iPad content.

As a side issue, will the video from the iPod 5th Gen iPod connect via USB?

Not directly. While the content is playback compatible with the iPad, there is not current means (other than iTunes) to transfer iPod content to the iPad Video app. Since the iPod content is assumed to already be managed by iTunes, simply select the same files for sync to the iPad device when it is connected to your computer and then select the "Apply" buttong to sync them to your iPad.

User uploaded file

May 17, 2010 7:30 PM in response to popster

popster wrote:
IPhone photo and video come across successfully. Sony MPEG transfers but won't play on iPad

Video from my Canon PowerShot SD900 comes across fine and also plays fine on the iPad. I've heard that there may be a problem with .mov files (the SD900 uses .AVI) but haven't checked it out to be sure.

Apr 28, 2011 5:12 AM in response to popster

As far as I can tell, the only capture devices that will work directly with an iPad are these: the iPhone, iPod Touch, and the iPad itself.

All others I've tried so far will not interface directly with an iPad for video transfer, not Sonys Bloggie, not Flip video, nor my Lumix digital camera. Apparently their capture format is incompatible with iMovie on the iPad.

You can go via another Mac, and convert the video as others hav e suggested, but I'm looking for a small portable video capture device other than the three listed. Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks

Hal

Nov 5, 2011 5:01 AM in response to carla223

" The video will import to the photo file. I haven't figured out how to move it to the video file."

Try this. Select one of the video clips in camera roll, then email it to yourself. Open the email on the iPad, open the video, then 'Save' it. You'll see little progress bar along the bottom if you look quickly. Re-open iMovie on the iPad, and now the video will be in Camera Roll.

Let us know if that works for you.

Hal

Nov 7, 2011 8:47 AM in response to popster

Thanks, tried it but it still goes to Photos. When I did that it dawned on me that it won't go to the Video file because it is still in mov format so it probably needs to be converted to the correct iPad format to save to the Video file. I was just trying to make it simple to import video for my special ed. students without needing the computer. Since they work in Photos it's only a problem of organization which I think I, then, need to look at photo managing apps.

Will Photo Adapter also import video from camera?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.