Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Want to use both on screen keyboard and HID keyboard at same time

Has anyone come up with a way to be able to switch back and forth between the on screen keyboard and a paired HID Bluetooth keyboard? In my case, my HID BT Keyboard is a barcode scanner which works great! It is the Serialio scanfob. We would like to use the iPad to create sales orders and some of the fields need to be text and some need to be the barcode info input from the scanner. I have already asked support, and no solutions there other then the eject option on the apple keyboard or turning off bluetooth in the settings. Any ideas will be much appreciated!

iPad, Other OS

Posted on Apr 15, 2010 5:28 AM

41 replies

May 22, 2010 8:14 PM in response to jamiepsa

I am able to connect a Symbol LS4278 bluetooth laser barcode scanner with an iPad. I did have to set the scanner to use a Variable PIN code. See page 4-16 of the Symbol LS 4278 Product Reference Guide. (Who ever heard of a 400+ page manual for a barcode scanner?)

I also need to use the virtual keyboard on the iPad as well as the bluetooth barcode scanner. Standard iPad apps disable the virtual keyboard if a bluetooth kb is attached and an HID bluetooth device is in essence a keyboard. I did notice that the iPod Touch/iPhone apps I have will present me with the iPhone virtual keyboard even if I have the barcode scanner attached. So it is possible to use both simultaneously; either the Apps need to be written to accommodate it, or Apple needs to make the disabling of the Virtual Keyboard an option (this would be a very nice thing to have in iPhone OS ver. 4. PLEASE.

The Symbol LS4278 reattaches to the iPad seamlessly, with no user action necessary.

I am working on the spec for adding forklift mounted touch devices with bluetooth barcode scanners to our Warehouse Management System and this would make for a slick and inexpensive hardware configuration.

May 25, 2010 7:19 AM in response to ddaeges1

"I am able to connect a Symbol LS4278 bluetooth laser barcode scanner with an iPad. I did have to set the scanner to use a Variable PIN code. See page 4-16 of the Symbol LS 4278 Product Reference Guide."

I'm curious as to all the scanner settings you had to use to make this connection. I'm working on a proof-of-concept along these lines for our company with an LS4278 and my iPhone, but thus far have not been able to get the phone to see the scanner. I set my scanner as a HID Slave, tried both general and limited discoverability, NA keyboard, immediate auto-reconnect, variable pin (per your comment), enable/disable auth, enable/disable encyrption.

May 26, 2010 5:42 PM in response to SnTD

Eureka, well sort of... I discovered something interesting. If you pair an Apple bluetooth keyboard to an iPad you can enable the on-screen keyboard (oskb) by pressing the eject button on the bluetooth keyboard. If you then connect the the LS4278 then go back into an app that accepts text such as the notes app, the oskb and the barcode scanner will now both be working. Cool, except if you hide the oskb you cannot get it back. If you use Apple's Numbers app though, you can activate the oskb at will while the barcode scanner is connected. So the capability is there, you just need an app that enables you to keep the oskb on screen. To make the functionality more universal, Apple should add a setting that would give the user the option to enable the oskb continuously.

May 28, 2010 3:45 PM in response to ddaeges1

I'm using the Symbol LS4278 barcode scanners as well trying to use the OSKB while having the scanner connected.

Has anyone found anything else that would keep it up. I've tried using the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard first, but since the setup will be used by our staff they will not be able to switch between the two bluetooth devices easily.

It would be nice if there was a barcode that could be scanned by the reader that would either send the same command as the eject key on the keyboard to bring up the OSKB or something to turn the bluetooth off on the scanner which would effectively temporarily disconnect it while the keyboard was used.

Any thoughts?

Jun 6, 2010 1:50 PM in response to Stryfe

I don't know for sure, but I don't believe that the function that controls the simultaneous use of the OSKB and a bluetooth HID device is something that can be activated by a scanned control character or such.

Based on the behavior I saw, it does persist at least until some other functionality comes along and turns it off, such as pressing the keyboard hide button on the OSKB itself. Which leads me to believe that even if someone came up with an App that set the function on, it would end up being turned off again etc. etc.

So I'm guessing that the only solution would be specific to an app that you would be working in, or else Apple will have to accommodate the need in the OS.

Jun 17, 2010 10:04 AM in response to ddaeges1

@ddaeges1: Could you please post the complete scanner settings you used to pair the LS4278? (So after a factory default reset?). I am also investigating a solution for our warehouse which involves a bluetooth LS4278 barcode scanner with iPod Touch or iPad. I already solved the communication issue with our MS SQL-server but a have a final hurdle in pairing the barcode scanner. Tried a lot of combinations already but you seem to have found the right one.

Jun 20, 2010 5:52 AM in response to Stryfe

@Stryfe: You seem to have mastered the connection of the LS4278 to the iPad as well. Can you post the scanner settings and/or iPad settings? I have tried both HID and SPP Master with authentication enabled as per the instructions in this forum and the scanner connects. In SPP the scanner stays connected but no scan is transferred to f.e. Notes. In HID the scanner connects briefly and than disconnects, scanning a barcode then results in a communication error sounding from the scanner. Do you know what I am doing wrong?

Jun 21, 2010 11:53 AM in response to jamiepsa

After about an hour of playing with settings I finally got my iPhone 3GS with IOS 4 and a LS4278 working correctly. Here's the steps I took:

1. Reset Scanner to Default Settings
2. Set Scanner to Bluetooth Keyboard Emulation (HID Slave)
3. Set Scanner to Variable PIN Code
4. You should see the scanner in your iPhone/iPad Bluetooth list, Select it and it will ask you to scan in a 4- digit number. Be sure to use the alphanumeric barcodes (appendix E) and NOT the numeric ones in appendix D! Scan the four numbers and then scan the "End of Message" barcode.

As far as reconnecting is concerned as far as I can tell with these settings you need to go into the iphone's bluetooth and manually connect each time. Oh and its scanner or OSKB in IOS 4 also.

Jun 22, 2010 10:43 AM in response to Roadrunner2348

Finally I sorted out my problems as well. First of all the firmware of my LS4278 was outdated so it is very important to update the firmware with the Scan123^2 software which you can download from the Symbol site. Secondly I was using a version of the manual which I downloaded around the time I bought the scanner. The newer manual (also downloaded from the Symbol site) contained the programming barcodes for 'Variable PIN' and 'End of Message' (scanned after the last alphanumeric digit is scanned).

The instructions by Roadrunner are then very accurate to connect the scanner. Although I found out that the scanner automatically reattempts to connect when there is no connection but a barcode is scanned. So no need to manually connect each time.

Aug 11, 2010 3:05 PM in response to jamiepsa

We just got Socket mobile CHS 7X today and found this issue, I contacted their tech support and she told me they are going to release either a new series of scanners that support this or a firmware update. It should be available this fall. I was surprised they could release this product without having this function works. To me, it's a must have before you claim it works with ipad/iphone.

Want to use both on screen keyboard and HID keyboard at same time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.