Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blackberry IM chat system App

Does anyone know if there is an iPhone App which is compatible with the blackberry chat system and can use the blackberry users pin no to identify them and chat?

You would have thought Blackberry or RIM or whoever the company is would cease the opportunity to write an app to do this. I would pay for such an app. I'm sure many many iPhone users would pay good money for such an app to be able to talk to their die hard blackberry colleagues, friends, families and co- workers. Would be a good income stream for them.

iMac intel, Mac OS X (10.6.2), iPhone 3GS 16GB, macbook

Posted on Apr 15, 2010 10:05 PM

6 replies

Apr 17, 2010 7:24 AM in response to deggie

Interesting theory and observation. Thanks for pointing that out. I had not given a thought to that side of it.

As a consumer I wasn't aware that it would be so expensive for Blackberry to re-route their Blackberry Chat IMs to another system. Also, as a consumer I suppose I don't care too much about how it is done. I'm just frustrated with how many different IM services there are and am keen to use applications which bring them together.

To answer your question, nothing. I would not be prepared to pay a monthly fee for such a service. Why would I? I already pay a monthly fee for more SMS than I use each month. I also pay a number of monthly fees for Internet access over wifi, broadband, and mobile data plans. This is one of the reasons why I don't like paying so much for SMS. Also IM is better.

However, I would pay for apps which consolidate IM services. I would pay up to £40 for an app which enabled IM on my iPhone to talk to the Blackberry Chat IM users. This is where they could get their revenue from. Whether or not it's enough, I don't know. But I can't imagine it would cost that much to ling their current service with an existing Web based IM service. Having said that, I am just a consumer and user of iPhone and a fre IM services such as Skype, MSN, iChat, Whats App (whatever that uses?) and apps like Ping.

Additionally, I reckon more revenue would also come from the continued use and sales of Blackberry devises. A lot of users and businesses prefer them. If they were more useful, as in they could use the BB chat to IM iPhone users etc sales and Market share would benefit too. IMHO.

Apr 17, 2010 8:21 AM in response to Robert Borley

Whats App (whatever that uses?)

Whats App uses the Whats App service. Whats App is an IM service for iPhone and iPod Touch users only. Whats App is similar to the Blackberry IM service which is for Blackberry users only, but Whats App is provided by a 3rd party and not by Apple.

There are 3rd party IM clients at the App Store that bring most of the major IM services that are available together under one application.

With the Beejive IM app, the following services are supported and all can be available and logged in at the same time if you have an account with each service.

AIM/MobileMe
Google Talk
MSN/Windows Live
Myspace IM
Yahoo Messenger
Facebook IM

However, I would pay for apps which consolidate IM services. I would pay up to £40 for an app which enabled IM on my iPhone to talk to the Blackberry Chat IM users.

Since it is RIM - the Blackberry manufacturer and the party that provides the Blackberry IM app for Blackberry users only, you need to contact RIM with your request since it is RIM's responsibility to provide an IM app for the iPhone and iPod Touch to be compatible with the Blackberry IM app which is for Blackberry users only.

Apr 17, 2010 3:52 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Allan Sampson wrote:
Whats App (whatever that uses?)

Whats App uses the Whats App service. Whats App is an IM service for iPhone and iPod Touch users only. Whats App is similar to the Blackberry IM service which is for Blackberry users only, but Whats App is provided by a 3rd party and not by Apple.

WhatsApp also works on Blackberry:)

Blackberry IM chat system App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.