Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will trickle charging affect ipad battery life.

Can anyone advise me if recharging (extremely) slowly using USB all the time will reduce the life of the ipad compared with using the proper power supply. Basically I carry so much stuff around already, I really dont want one more charger and a bigger multiboard.

Any advice appreciated.

G4x2, G5x2 and CoreDuox1, Mac OS X (10.4.8), and the odd PC too!

Posted on Apr 19, 2010 7:56 PM

10 replies

Apr 19, 2010 11:29 PM in response to crosis_nz

Charge it as you find convenient. Apple recommends to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down) for proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge. Otherwise, your iPad battery is designed to retain 80% of it's original capacity after 1,000 full charge cycles.

See this: http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html

Apr 20, 2010 10:43 AM in response to Craig Brady

Standard Technology
Lithium-ion polymer batteries pack in a higher power density than nickel-based batteries. This gives you a longer battery life in a lighter package, as lithium is the lightest metal. You can also recharge a lithium-ion polymer battery whenever convenient, without the full charge or discharge cycle necessary to keep nickel-based batteries at peak performance. (Over time, crystals build up in nickel-based batteries and prevent you from charging them completely, necessitating an inconvenient full discharge.)

I bow to your superiority!

Apr 20, 2010 4:03 PM in response to Dah•veed

This is not correct for Lith Ion batteries. Fully discharging does not effect the battery life nor is it needed. In fact, you only have so many full charge and discharge cycles before the battery starts to loose capacity. The more you can leave it plugged into AC power, or charging it as soon as you get to AC power without letting it fully discharge, the longer the battery will last.

Apr 20, 2010 6:33 PM in response to Dadof2Girls

And you come along 6 hours after this has already been corrected and I have conceded the correction is accurate and correct me again because...

Although I am not sure how totally accurate this is;
charging it as soon as you get to AC power without letting it fully discharge, the longer the battery will last.

Only partially discharging the battery and topping it back up still counts against the total number of recharge cycles according to Apple. If you fully discharge the battery in one day and recharge it, that is one cycle. If you use half of the battery in one day and recharge it and then you use half the battery the next day and recharge it, that also is one cycle; .5 + .5 = 1

But it has 1000+ full cycles according to Apple, and then it will still charge to 80% after that, so these batteries are looking at serving for a number of years to come.

Apr 21, 2010 12:19 AM in response to crosis_nz

For proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

from the apple ipad battery link above:

so not done for any memory problem.

You trickle charge in the hope you don't use up one of the 1,000 life cycle numbers. You still have to fight the total life and MFBF of the battery pack.

Will trickle charging affect ipad battery life.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.