Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Display some region on the video frame on video playback

Can we have any option on showing selected spatial regions on the video frame on the i-phone display, on video play back ?

Intel Quad, Other OS

Posted on Apr 29, 2010 3:33 AM

5 replies

Apr 29, 2010 4:51 AM in response to Julian Wright

What I meant is that on video playback, the whole video frame is not shown completely on the screen, but some part is shown, keeping the aspect ratio same. It can be thought of as a digital zoom. But actually it is not so, because we see some part of video frame with full resolution. This "selection window" should move anywhere on the full video frame, automatically or manually, with time.

Apr 29, 2010 5:13 AM in response to renji

the whole video frame is not shown completely on the screen

Well, that depends on the original ratio of the source footage. When you encode a video for display on the iPhone you can choose whether to crop it, zoom it, change the ratio to fit etc.

This "selection window" should move anywhere on the full video frame, automatically or manually, with time.

You mean something like the "Pan and Scan" process that widescreen movies go through when reformatted for different ratio screens?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panandscan

Personally, I think this is best left to the movie producers, like they do for DVD releases, as it would be a bit annoying having to move the screen around manually all throughout a movie.

Send your suggestion to Apple here though: http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Apr 29, 2010 5:48 AM in response to Julian Wright

1. I want the original video stored as such in the memory of the i-phone, but with some annotations about where the 'selection window' reside at a temporal instant. The i-phone video display manager should automatically pan the entire original frame, according to this annotation. Is this possible ?

2. Ya. I mean panning or scanning an entire video frame with a comparably smaller viewing window. But this panning speed will be very slow since we move accordance with a slowly moving video object in the original video. By this, the full resolution video object will be displayed to the viewer. Can it be done ?

Apr 29, 2010 5:57 AM in response to renji

1. Is this possible ?

No.

2. Can it be done ?

No.

Both of these would need Apple to add this functionality to a future iPhone OS update. You'd also need some way of adding the 'selection window' position to the video timeline, so additional software would also need to be developed to do this.

I doubt this would ever happen, as it's got a very, very niche appeal.

Display some region on the video frame on video playback

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.