Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad locked-up, will not restore.

My iPad locked-up while playing Angry Birds, and I had to press the home button and the power button together in order to restart it. After doing that, the iPad will not boot past the screen with the Apple logo.

I googled around and found out that by pressing the home button while connecting it to my Mac with the USB-cable, I could restore it. And it worked. I got the dialog box in iTunes telling me that it found an iPad volume that needed to be restored. iTunes downloaded the iPad software and prepared to restore when I got error message with code 14.

I looked up that error message in a support document:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275

And it seems to be something regarding the USB-connection.
I have tried to restore it on three different Macs: two MacBook Pro's and on a Mac Pro.

And I also tried this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1747

But I still get that error message 14.

What can I try now to get it working again? Might there be some issue with the iPad hardware? Is my iPad bricked?

Cheers,

Ray.

iPad Wi-Fi, iPhone OS 3.1.3

Posted on May 18, 2010 12:56 AM

12 replies

May 18, 2010 4:13 AM in response to rgangstad

And now I've also tried DFU mode.

By plugging in the iPad, holding home and power buttons for 10 seconds, until the iPad screen goes black. And then it shows up i iTunes while the screen is still black. But I still get error code 14. Both on a PC and a Mac.

What should be my next step of action?

I live in Norway and my iPad was bought in an Apple Store in the US. Can I call Apple Support to get help?

May 18, 2010 4:46 AM in response to rgangstad

rgangstad wrote:
I live in Norway and my iPad was bought in an Apple Store in the US. Can I call Apple Support to get help?

I'm not sure how useful any of the following will be in practice, but anyway...

Apple Norway at (47) 815 00 158 probably won't be able to help until the iPad goes on sale in Norway. U.S. iPad technical support is here: 1-800-APL-CARE (1-800-275-2273) and this article may be useful:

_Dialing Toll-free Numbers from Outside the United States_

Or you could locate the US Apple Store you bought your iPad from and call their non-800 no.:

http://www.apple.com/retail/storelist

And here's Apple's contact page:

http://www.apple.com/support/contact

User uploaded file

May 22, 2010 6:20 AM in response to Alancito

Thank you, I will try to contact apple.

By the way, I had a look in Console.app as I got the error message in iTunes:

22.05.10 15.00.30 usbmuxd[23] MobileDeviceConnectlocked: This is not the droid you're looking for (is actually com.apple.mobile.restored). Move along, move along.

22.05.10 15.00.30 usbmuxd[23] _MobileDevicePairWorker: Pair worker (0x0xb0114000) could not connect to lockdownd: kAMDWrongDroidError

22.05.10 15.00.30 iTunesHelper[176] MobileDeviceConnectlocked: This is not the droid you're looking for (is actually com.apple.mobile.restored). Move along, move along.

22.05.10 15.00.30 iTunes[750] MobileDeviceConnectlocked: This is not the droid you're looking for (is actually com.apple.mobile.restored). Move along, move along.

22.05.10 15.00.46 com.apple.usbmuxd[23] MuxTCPInputSCE received RST for 0x2-f166a08f7dbc0d9b4baf572d6732ee0127272c75@0x24100000:12345->0x202920-iTunes/ com.apple.iTunes:3328: handleConnectResult: failure - 61

22.05.10 15.00.46 com.apple.usbmuxd[23] MuxTCPInputSCE received RST for 0x2-f166a08f7dbc0d9b4baf572d6732ee0127272c75@0x24100000:12345->0x202920-iTunes/ com.apple.iTunes:3584: handleConnectResult: failure - 61

--

Anyone know how to read this? (Liked the Star Wars reference in there by the way, hehe.)

May 22, 2010 12:48 PM in response to rgangstad

I know this is a long shot, but have you tried using a different USB cable (preferably one thats relatively new)? I know there have been a few times I tried restoring and it freaked me out when I got an error saying it could not be restored but my USB cable had been only slightly frayed, I really didn't figure it was that since I had been using it for charging and syncing just fine but somehow when restoring the device it had a problem with it. Just a suggestion.

May 24, 2010 7:06 AM in response to Alancito

I just talked to Apple Support in Norway. And I since the iPad is not yet released here, I have to either send it to a service center in the states. Or wait until friday, when the iPad is release in certain european countries and contact Apple in one of those countries. So I think I'll try and call Apple in England next week.

Sep 29, 2010 1:26 PM in response to rgangstad

I too was unable to restore my iPad, and noted similar errors (wrong droid, etc) in the console.

I found that the solution was to disable or uninstall any software on the computer that might interfere with network communications -- I temporarily disabled Little Snitch firewall. If you happen to be running anything that handles USB connections, such as Wi-Fi Sync, you might also try uninstalling it from your mac.

My iPad's now restored and is happily purring along.

Nov 28, 2012 1:36 PM in response to Sparky Fiorini

I was still frustrated after going to many sites using the search on restore locked ipad. Only way that really works I found in Apple forum:

Turn off iPad: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red slider appears, then slide the slider. Wait for iPad to turn off.

• If you cannot turn off iPad using the slider, press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. When the iPad turns off, release the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons.

While pressing and holding the Home button, reconnect the USB cable to iPad. When you reconnect the USB cable, iPad should power on.
Note: If you see the screen pictured below, let the iPad charge for at least ten minutes to ensure the battery has some charge and then start with step 2 again. User uploaded file

Continue holding the Home button until you see the "Connect to iTunes" screen. When this screen appears you can release the Home button:
User uploaded file

If necessary, open iTunes. You should see the following "recovery mode" alert:
User uploaded file

Use iTunes to restore iPad.

If you don't see the "Connect to iTunes" screen, try these steps again. If you see the "Connect to iTunes" screen but iPad does not appear in iTunes, see this article and its related links.

When using recovery mode, you can only restore iPad. All user content on iPad will be erased, but if you had previously synced with iTunes on this computer, you can restore from a previous backup. See this article for more information.

iPad locked-up, will not restore.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.