Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 SAR rating

Does anyone know what the SAR rating is with the new iPhone 4? I'm curious because the metal frame edge is the antenna which you must hold and contact.

iPhone 3Gs, iPhone OS 3.1.3

Posted on Jun 8, 2010 2:44 PM

17 replies

Jul 6, 2010 5:11 PM in response to Kevin41269

Kevin41269 wrote:
Does anyone know what the SAR rating is with the new iPhone 4? I'm curious because the metal frame edge is the antenna which you must hold and contact.

It is 1.17 W/Kg

http://asia.cnet.com/2010/06/10/iphone-4-s-sar-higher-than-iphone-3gs/

And here's a little video from Cnet.

http://cnettv.cnet.com/highest-radiation-smartphones/9742-1_53-50089775.html?tag =smallCarouselArea.0

The Droid is among the highest SAR ratings of smartphones. The video refers to it as a "little bacon fryer" in terms of the radiation it puts out.

Aug 9, 2010 5:22 AM in response to lkrupp

It's really disappointing to see that the iphone 4 emits worse levels of radiation compared to the original iphone. What would make the iphone even more compelling--and people like me less reluctant to use it--would be if it emitted very low radiation levels. Although the iphone seems to be better than several of the smartphones out there on this issue, it's not great overall--especially since it's a device that is designed to be held when in use or "carried" close to one's body (that is, one is using it for much more than simply making a phone call). It is this sticking point that leaves me undecided about making the switch.

Aug 9, 2010 5:20 PM in response to Johnathan Burger

What effect does using a higher SAR rated phone have?

=>2 you begin to think the "change" in the US is good and BP is a green company.
=> 3 you start to actually believe those IE8 security commercials
=> 4 you start to watch only reality shows on TV, like "Bachelor Pad" and think they are great works of art.
=> 5 you start to compare Mahatma Gandhi with Mel Gibson and think the latter is more compassionate.
=> 6 you enroll in Glen Beck University.
=> 7 you begin stalking Nancy Pelosi so you can worship at her feet.
=> 8 you think you have actually found the WMDs.
=> 9 you begin actually believing any cell phone commercials.
10 you spend an inordinate amount of time posting in Apple Discussions.

Too late for me.

Message was edited by: deggie

Aug 10, 2010 4:45 AM in response to Johnathan Burger

I hear from the thread that there are various contributors who aren't concerned about radiation from cell phones in relation to health. I'm not writing to criticize or make fun of anyone or to debate the issue per se since it is already an issue being debated by researchers. I am, however, writing to say it is likely inaccurate to say SAR ratings are meaningless, or more specifically that radiation from cell phones in general, and the waves from cell towers--are completely safe and not worth caring about or considering. I recognize that some people reading this have no interest in this issue and thinks it's "ridiculous". No problem. However, if there are people reading who would like to explore more, a few starting points might be watching the documentary, Full Signal, and the Canadian researcher, Dr. Magda Havas' website: www.magdahavis.org. Interestingly, she suggests keeping the iphone 4 away from one's body (not touching it) might make it one of the safer phones. The problem with that, of course, is that that is not what the iphone is designed for.

Regards.

iPhone 4 SAR rating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.