Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 3GS Upgrade Questions

Hello,

Please forgive me if this specific question has been asked before; I haven't seen any exactly like mine. I believe I am not eligible to upgrade (I bought my iPhone 3GS on launch date last year) but I cannot check until I visit a apple retail store because I don't have an access code to see my account information on the mywireless section of the ATT website. I would like to purchase the iPhone 4 and keep my 30$ a month unlimited data plan. So, this is what I would like to know:

What options do I have if I want the new iPhone 4 with the $30/m Unlimited Data Plan I have now without switching to the new data plan(s) and I am not eligible to upgrade? Thanks in advance.

Dell XPS 410, Windows 7

Posted on Jun 8, 2010 4:34 PM

18 replies

Jun 8, 2010 4:47 PM in response to EChavez530

I believe I am not eligible to upgrade (I bought my iPhone 3GS on launch date last year) but I cannot check until I visit a apple retail store because I don't have an access code to see my account information on the mywireless section of the ATT website.

When registering for online access with your AT&T account via AT&T's website, you use your cell phone number and area code for your user name along with selecting a password.

What access code are you referring to?

If you are not upgrade eligible for AT&T's fully subsidized or discounted price, AT&T offers an early upgrade price, which is $200 more than AT&T's fully subsidized or discounted price.

Check the early upgrade price per this link.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=18004&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=30863

And copied from the link regarding the new data plans that went into effect this week.

+*Existing AT&T smartphone customers upgrading to iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS are not required to switch to a new plan, but can choose to do so.*+

Jun 8, 2010 6:59 PM in response to EChavez530

EChavez530 wrote:
Thanks Allan,

You have answered my question. If I decide to buy the phone with the early upgrade portion, can I still pre-order from apple's website and get the discount?

Yes.

Also, this is a screenshot of my access code issue:

http://i50.tinypic.com/2rfx4ia.jpg

It looks like you'll need to visit ATT and find out why that is happening.

Jun 8, 2010 7:51 PM in response to Tamara

I see, thanks Tamara.

Lastly, I hate to be a bother but, I have someone that wants to purchase my iPhone 3GS so I could put the money towards my new phone. If I do sell my phone during the time I wont have an iPhone period, will I be able to keep my data plan an a different phone? Even it's not a smart phone? And when I do get the iPhone 4 what must I do to transfer my plan to that phone?

Sorry for these questions, I'm not too good with these sorts of things. I really appreciate the help.

Jun 8, 2010 8:43 PM in response to EChavez530

EChavez530 wrote:
I see, thanks Tamara.

Lastly, I hate to be a bother but, I have someone that wants to purchase my iPhone 3GS so I could put the money towards my new phone. If I do sell my phone during the time I wont have an iPhone period, will I be able to keep my data plan an a different phone? Even it's not a smart phone? And when I do get the iPhone 4 what must I do to transfer my plan to that phone?

Sorry for these questions, I'm not too good with these sorts of things. I really appreciate the help.

When you get the iphone 4 at the retail store, they should take care of that. I would sell your iphone 3g s after you get your new iphone 4.

Jun 10, 2010 4:39 PM in response to SkyRaiderUS

Alright everyone, I figured out the passcode situation. Long story short, we have an unknown person on our account and we needed a passcode for security reasons. Anyway, now that I have checked my account information this is what I have under upgrade eligibility. I'm not sure if this changes anything, please clarify. Thanks.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2vil9cl.jpg

Jun 11, 2010 6:35 PM in response to EChavez530

EChavez530 wrote:

I have someone that wants to purchase my iPhone 3GS so I could put the money towards my new phone. If I do sell my phone during the time I wont have an iPhone period, will I be able to keep my data plan an a different phone? Even it's not a smart phone? And when I do get the iPhone 4 what must I do to transfer my plan to that phone?

You can put your 3G S sim card in another ATT phone and it will automatically become your present number. Therefore, you can sell your present phone anytime you want. Just don't include the sim card with it. When you get your new phone (if you haven't done anything about requesting one of the new data plans), you should automatically get the same unlimited plan.

The unlimited data plan is nice, but unless ATT changes their minds and allows tethering with the unlimited plan, I think it's of questionable value UNLESS you spend a LOT of time streaming video (read mlb.com or youtube) on a daily basis or streaming music (read pandora.com or sirius).

For the present, I'm keeping my unlimited plan, but over the last 6 months, I'm only averaging about 1.5GB monthly. And that's mostly because I steam the Sirius App about 45-60 minutes daily while I'm walking. I would lean toward going with the 2GB plan IF ATT would kick up the monthly limit to say 5GB for tethering. I don't see myself doing a lot of tethering, but the 2GB would not cut the mustard for me unless I were to give up my Sirius App.

Jun 14, 2010 2:03 PM in response to Macaby

I understand Macaby, I greatly appreciate the assistance.

I think I am going to hold off on getting one of ATT's new data plans because I don't use those apps too often. I'll give it some time before I decide to change if I do decide to change.

So this means if I decide to put it in a temporary phone that does not utilize iPhone's data plan I should still remain with the same plan correct? I have a spare ATT flip phone lying around the house, I just don't want to lost my iPhone Data plan.

I am a bit confused on a different matter, I thought the iPhone 4 was going to use micro-sims instead of the regular sized sim cards. Now I might have just assumed this because the iPad uses micro-sims. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If I have any further questions at the time of my pre-order I will post another topic, everyone has been very helpful here. I can see we have a community with some very helpful members. Thanks to everyone that helped out.

Jun 14, 2010 2:07 PM in response to EChavez530

So this means if I decide to put it in a temporary phone that does not utilize iPhone's data plan I should still remain with the same plan correct? I have a spare ATT flip phone lying around the house, I just don't want to lost my iPhone Data plan.

Placing an activated AT&T SIM card in another phone - from an iPhone or from any other phone does not change your existing calling plan, messaging plan, or your data plan. You must contact AT&T to make any changes to your current plans.

I am a bit confused on a different matter, I thought the iPhone 4 was going to use micro-sims instead of the regular sized sim cards. Now I might have just assumed this because the iPad uses micro-sims. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The iPhone 4 does use a micro-SIM card just as with the iPad.

Jun 14, 2010 2:16 PM in response to EChavez530

So does this mean I won't be able to use the iPhone 3GS' sim card? Do I need to get a new one from ATT? If so, what steps must I use to obtain one?

Correct, and there is no need or reason to. All iPhones ship in the U.S. with a non-activated AT&T SIM card pre-installed. The iPhone 4 will ship in the U.S. with a non-activated AT&T micro-SIM card pre-installed just as has been done with every iPhone model released to date - the original iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3GS.

To quote select text, copy the text and place a > before the first word of the text with no spaces between the > and the first word.

Jun 14, 2010 2:23 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Correct, and there is no need or reason to. All iPhones ship in the U.S. with a non-activated AT&T SIM card pre-installed. The iPhone 4 will ship in the U.S. with a non-activated AT&T micro-SIM card pre-installed just as has been done with every iPhone model released to date - the original iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3GS.To quote select text, copy the text and place a > before the first word of the text with no spaces between the > and the first word.

I see, and once my new iPhone arrives I just activate it via iTunes under my account is that right?

Message was edited by: EChavez530

iPhone 3GS Upgrade Questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.