Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable IADs banners?

I understand from Steve Jobs' presentation that App developers can place an IAD banner wherever they want in their App. Is there a way to shut those banners off in the new IOS4? Seems penny wise and pound foolish for Apple to look for increased ad revenue and endanger increased App revenue. Isn't $428,000,000 enough from the apps? Do they really want an additional $24,000,000 by poking ads into the apps.

By the way, great presentation and great looking product.

iPad Iphone Imac MacPro, iPhone OS 3.1.3

Posted on Jun 10, 2010 8:23 PM

10 replies

Jun 11, 2010 8:36 AM in response to Julian Wright

When we are told that the developer gets 60%, my next question would be, "How does Apple know to whom that money goes?". Will there be hidden memory cost to keep track of what app I am using? Will there be extra network traffic to feedback to Apple that a banner ran 12 times innthe last 24 hours? There is already extra network cost to put the banner in.

In response to how do you make money off "Free" apps? These are used as tools to use costed products. IBooks is a "Free" app to allow you to BUY books. Many free apps are just lures to get someone to buy the real costed app.

The responses I've gotten to the question seem to be from developers with a valid concern to be compensated for their work, but there needs to be feedback from users who will see those ad banners.

Jun 11, 2010 8:54 AM in response to SculptER

How does Apple know to whom that money goes?

Apple knows who each App is written by, and where each ad is located. Apple have already solved that issue - you don't need to worry about it, or know how it works.

Will there be hidden memory cost to keep track of what app I am using?

Doubtful. It's built-in to the OS, so the functionality is there whether its used or not.

Will there be extra network traffic to feedback to Apple that a banner ran 12 times innthe last 24 hours?

They need to collect the data somehow, but it will be miniscule. Lots of Apps already send out data for various reasons, and have been for a long time. You just don't know about it.

These are used as tools to use costed products

Sometimes, but not always. Many developers release free Apps for which there is no paid version. Some developers want to release ad-supported Apps instead of charging users for them. It's their choice.

there needs to be feedback from users who will see those ad banners.

You won't see the full Ad unless you choose to click on the banner. Don't you understand that?

If you don't want to go anywhere near ads, just buy Apps without them. It's highly unlikely developers will put ads in Apps you have paid for.

Jul 1, 2010 1:46 PM in response to Julian Wright

Will there be extra network traffic to feedback to Apple that a banner ran 12
times in the last 24 hours?

They need to collect the data somehow, but it will be miniscule. Lots of Apps
already send out data for various reasons, and have been for a long time. You
just don't know about it.

I'm sorry, I just don't trust you on that. The fact that there is ANY extra bandwidth used for sucking down ads (many that include images, that are NOT trivial in size), is unacceptable and which probably constitute a breach of telecom laws (think about the Junk Fax law -- this is absolutely the same thing -- you have a finite resource (a certain number of bytes per month you paid for) that is being used for unwanted advertising (I, at least, don't want to see this crap)). Ads on the regular 'net are not like this because your home internet connection is not billed per [meg/gig]byte (don't bother arguing about the cap some ISPs impose -- that's NOT the same thing here).

Disable IADs banners?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.