Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rented movie on iPad in iTunes app and is not downloading

I dowloaded an HD movie (Sherlock Holmes) and it was dowloading and it stops. It says "download error, Tap to retry" and I retry and the same thing happens.

MacBook Pro / MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Jun 11, 2010 11:51 PM

21 replies

Jul 4, 2010 8:19 PM in response to HDLx24

I am having the same nightmare, and have found the only very very SLOW way is to alternate back and forth from WiFi & 3G many many times and be glad I learned to play percussion instruments for "tap to restart". Also, in addition, if a rental goes over 30 days how do you discard it from Video (rentals) they just sit there and remind you your so frustrated you avoid the issue.

Jul 13, 2010 3:40 PM in response to HDLx24

I am having the same download issues with my iPad... I have tried many times to download my rented movie and it keeps failing. I tap to retry and it tries. Again but then fails. I am very unhappy and wanted to add my experience in the hope that someone might help. Also, because iPad doesn't support Flash, some free to air programs are charging iPad users to download their programs! Flash supported products can watch these programs for free. Right now everywhere I turn I am getting "hit" by iPad issues.

Aug 17, 2010 11:47 AM in response to HDLx24

I was able to solve this problem with a Mac program called PhoneView (got it from MacHeist once). It's a program that lets you view and transfer/delete files on your iPhone, but also works with the iPad.

I had to go into its Preferences and enable the Advanced Disk Mode. Then I went into Disk -> Downloads and there were three files, a JPG and and M4V for the movie I couldn't get rid of, and a manifest.plist file. I deleted all three and restarted my iPad to be on the safe side, then when I opened iTunes it first showed nothing and then started downloading the movie again. This time I let it download the movie completely and it finally did and now my iPad's fine.

Oct 6, 2010 8:49 AM in response to Bart S.

I have the same problem, now 3 incomplete movies on my Ipad. They did charge me for them of course. I contacted apple twice already with the "report a problem" link in Itunes, but that has been a waste of time until now. They suggest installing the latest Itunes version and try again.....on my Ipad?
Looks like a copy/paste answer to me. This is extremely frustrating. I have learned that when you download a movie and it stalls, you pause it, and then resume it, it will continue to download. But you have to keep your eyes on it all the time.

But if I let it time out, or are am not patient enough to wait 2 hours for the thing to download, then I get the download errors.

Very disappointing Apple, expected better from you guys. Maybe a reimbursement for the rental fee paid and in the next update a final solution? O yeah and a way to free up this space in the mean time.

Rented movie on iPad in iTunes app and is not downloading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.