Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

number of rings before voicemail

as far as i can tell, some calls ring normally and some calls just ring once and go to voicemail before i can even grab the phone. it's possible that this happens when the iphone is on the dock, but i'm not sure. and it seems to have started after i replaced my iphone and restored all my stuff to the new one.

but i can't find any settings that control how many rings before it forwards to voicemail. i used to have such controls on my previous nokia (dumb) phone, so where are they on my wonderful, shiny new toy?

iPhone 3GS, iPhone OS 3.1.3

Posted on Jun 12, 2010 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2010 9:45 AM

No such setting available on the iPhone, which isn't a number of rings setting. This is a time setting at the carrier's server. When someone selects Call to place a call, the notification with the recipient's phone - the ringing with the recipient's phone may begin later in the time setting at the carrier's server for rings due to network traffic at the time and/or the recipient's phone cellular reception at the time. Long story short, the time setting at the carrier's server for how long a phone will ring is not always exactly when the call is received the server - rings aren't always received by the recipient's phone at the second the call is received at the server.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2010 9:45 AM in response to nielkmot

No such setting available on the iPhone, which isn't a number of rings setting. This is a time setting at the carrier's server. When someone selects Call to place a call, the notification with the recipient's phone - the ringing with the recipient's phone may begin later in the time setting at the carrier's server for rings due to network traffic at the time and/or the recipient's phone cellular reception at the time. Long story short, the time setting at the carrier's server for how long a phone will ring is not always exactly when the call is received the server - rings aren't always received by the recipient's phone at the second the call is received at the server.

number of rings before voicemail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.